MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-21-2002, 01:01 AM   #1
stanglx347

Talking Juat another fun week of racing a mustang!!

This post also has another lesson....IF I CAN DO IT...SO CAN YOU!!!!!

Two weeks ago, my car runs a 10.71 @ 126mph.
347 Stroker
Energy Cam 276/280 duration 690 lift.
Solid Roller
750 HP Carb
TF Street Heat Heads
Edelbrock Vr.Jr. Intake
C4
33 Spline Moser Spool
4000 Stall
(Car is NOT gutted at all, full interior).

Last week, it runs a 11.30 at 122mph.......UHHH SOMETHING IS VERY WRONG HERE!!!

Take Care Sunday to Engine guy, goes to turn engine over by hand and it is "Too hard to turn" he has great concerns....YEAH ME TOO!!!!

So, to save a buck, I trailer car back home and pull Motor out by myself...(Never done that before. Allot of fun...NOT!!!)
Pull drive shaft, drop exhaust, pull motor and trans out...yadda...yadda.
Take motor to my Engine Builder.....he says one of the cam bearings has walked out. But caught it in time, other then one of hte rollers was banging into it....fun!!

While he fixes that, I send stall off to Trans. Spec, in PA to get stall loosened to 5000.
I get motor and Stall back this past friday.

I then spend friday afternoon and saturday TRYING to get the car back together by Race Day sunday. By myself! Putting Stall in Trans, trans on motor, all into the car, hook everything back up and FINALLY start it up Saturday night. If fires right up.

Load on trailer Sunday morning and go to track...

10.75 @ 126.............Back in business............Gheeesshhhhh.......talk about a marathon week.

As I said, if I can learn as I go taking it all out and putting it all back in...well........I dont' know what that means.......maybe I just go lucky?

James
Old 05-21-2002, 02:27 PM   #2
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

Thats a killer setup, a monster you got there, what year is the car? hatch?

My friend has a 347 in an 85 coupe, tfs heads(hogged out), vic jr intk, 650 holley mech sec's, longtubes 1-5/8's 410 grs, on e.t streets and a poor 60' he goes 12.0 @ 114, just a street setup on a hyd roller cam, forged intenals with no girdles, and 10:1 compression.

With just a cam swap around 550 lift, and more duration he could see 117 mph on this street car, his back seat is removed and the car still has a/c.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 09:46 PM   #3
stanglx347

Lightbulb Some more info.....

Well, the guy that built the motor said he had never seen a Cam bearing 'walk' out of it's location on a 302.

I/we could only conclude that the Cam Bearing did this based on a number of thngs.

1.) Stock Block (even with Stud Girdle)
2.) Shifting at 7800 Rpms.
3.) Solid Motor mounts putting stress on the side walls of the block.

4.) 13:1 Compression
5.) High Pressure valve springs putting ungodly pressure on Cam.

Okay, with all of this twisting and turning at High Rpms it would appear that the flexing of the block caused the cam bearing to walk out.

The solution for now, was to put Red Loctite on Bearing when pressed back in and then to switch from Solid Moroso Motor Mounts to the the Energy Suspension Motor mounts to add a little give.

A week and a half off the road and it felt like a month and a half.