MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-20-2001, 06:52 PM   #1
ricky1

Question keith carft or dss

i call dss and keith craft dss told me with my heads and intake carb a pro bullet 306 i would run 11;60 or better on motor so just to compare i called keith craft and they told me i i needed a 331 and i also neede to put 350 hp to the ground to go 11;60 i have edelbroke 6037 heads victor jr intake and aed 650 dp with a 5 spd and 4;10 gears in a notch back i want to go 11;50 can some one help me?
Old 02-20-2001, 11:23 PM   #2
88workcar
Registered Member

Cool

Talk to Jason at Kieth Kraft. Tell him that I spoke well of him. The don't talk trash, and build one hell-of-a-motor. I do as much buisness with them as I can. Good luck,
Jason Johnson
Pierre Part,La.

------------------
88workcar
1988 Mustang LX - 12.17 @ 112 MPH!
88workcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 02:45 AM   #3
chris91LX
Registered Member

I have never dealt with either, but I have talked to several people at the track who were not too crazy about DSS. I was interested in going with a DSS motor, two different guys at differen't tracks told me they had bought and used motors from DSS and both were no longer using those motors from DSS. Not to dis DSS, but I have heard more bad than good.
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 01:50 PM   #4
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

I've dealt with Keith Craft before. Good guys with great products. Talk with Jason or Keith. There was another guy just starting out there that didn't know what he was talking about.

Anyway, like I said, they do good work. The only problem I had with them is that someone used the wrong size valve seals on my heads. We checked them before we put the heads on, and about half of the seals (cheap rubber umbrella seals) were a size too big. That would have made a heck of a oil consumption problem. We went ahead and replaced all the seals with quality spring seals and o-ringed them all for extra protection.

Not to cut their product, but it's a good idea to check anything you dont do yourself, and even then, it's a good idea to doublecheck your own work.

Also, about D.S.S., I've heard some grumblings in the mustang community about 'em. Nothing deffinite, and I've never dealt with them personally.

--nathan

------------------
--silver_pilate

'91 GT, Built 306, Wolverine 1087 cam, ported Windsor Jr. Irons, and all the goodies...click the link to the left to see a full list of my mods...

Tried and True 302 Being Built to Outrun You! heh heh heh...
--Texas Panhandle--
Check out my site
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 04:03 PM   #5
DemonGT
Registered Member

iv heard very bad things about DSS...and only good things about KC

------------------
1991 GT,T-5,air silencer removed,racing clutch(previous owner put in so dont know what kind),K&N air filter,Aiwa deck,power acoustic amp,2 12" pianeers,UPDATE: Just got my Mac long tube headers and Cat-back

Future Mods:3.73's,Pro 5.0,Shifter knob,FMS 9mm wires
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 09:51 PM   #6
n20lx
Registered Member

What exactly wre these bad things? I have a DSS 331 & don't have problems.
n20lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 10:35 PM   #7
rbatson

One guy told me the clearances where too tight in his shortblock and he had major problems and DSS would stand behind it. I heard the same from someone else(can't remember where I heard it). I've never had an experience with them but from what I've heard I steered away from them and went with Keith Craft. I've also heard the problems they once had are now fixed. I really don't know and hate to drag someones name through the mud that I've never dealt with so I really can't say. But as I've heard(first hand) they atleast once had some problems(years ago).

Personally I don't want to deal with someone who won't stand behind their product. As I said I don't know first hand so it really is unfair but I didn't want to take any chances.

Once you get a bad name its hard to lose it.
Old 02-22-2001, 09:22 PM   #8
buddha
Registered Member

KC is a good guy. My buddy had some custom work done by the guys in his shop, and all were very freindly. We drove about 6 hours to his shop and he took the time to explain everything my freind needed to know. Jason is a heck of nice guy, and is usually the one easiest to actually talk to on the phone. Running a slightly smaller operation, and considering they're usually swamped, don't get in a real hurry. I would'nt be afraid to purchase from him.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote