MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Blue Oval Lounge (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   I need a good 4 or 6 point roll bar. What's a good company? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=33893)

tireburner163 02-12-2003 10:44 PM

I need a good 4 or 6 point roll bar. What's a good company?

Ok, the GT has a single roll bar (2 point) in it now. I don't know who installed it, or even if it's welded in or not. I want to install a new on so that I know it's done right. I might as well upgrade a little and get a little better bar. I'm looking for a good quality weld-in 4 point roll bar. What's a good company/place to order from?

I want a 4 point, but if I can't find one like I want I will go with a 6 point, but only one with swing out side bars or lowered side bars. It's a daily driver, so I don't want it to be a pain to get in and out of.

Eric4Nitrous 02-13-2003 11:58 AM

You can get a mail order cage from jegs or summit for around $149.99. I'd go with a 6 point. Only time you have to deal with side bars is when you go with a 8 point cage or higher.

WADS56 02-13-2003 12:04 PM

IMO the best chassis stuff for a fox stang is from Wolfe racecraft. You pay for it but it is the best. Excluding full tube chassis cars like skiny kid and stuff like that.

tireburner163 02-13-2003 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Eric4Nitrous
You can get a mail order cage from jegs or summit for around $149.99. I'd go with a 6 point. Only time you have to deal with side bars is when you go with a 8 point cage or higher.
I don't want a bolt-in.

And a 6 point has side bars.

Eric4Nitrous 02-13-2003 12:24 PM

six points do not have side bars. I know, i do rollcages all the time. If you don't want a bolt in cage, just get a mild steel cage put in. Something like a 6 point or 8 point with swingout side bars.

Ackbar00 02-13-2003 12:28 PM

Try www.maximummotorsports.com This is who I will be getting my cage through (when it gets fast enough) The side bars are full swing out plus the can be removed for everyday driving. I have seen a car here localy that had this cage and I liked it.

andy669 02-13-2003 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Eric4Nitrous
I know, i do rollcages all the time.

ROFLMAO!

My cage is a Wolfe Chromoly. It came jig notched. All you have to do is place the bars where you want, and weld. It didnt come with the 6" x 6" x 1/8" plates to weld to the floor, I had to supply them. There are pics of it on my MW site. I highly recommend them.

Andy

tireburner163 02-13-2003 02:58 PM

Eric, here are two example of 6 point roll bars

http://reviews.stangnet.com/review.cgi?ID=203

http://www.wolferacecraft.com/pages/Install/mrbtech.htm

Damn those sure like side bars to me:confused: But I'm just a retard with a slow GT. Hey!!!, I know!!! I bet Billy Glidden would trade me his Pro 5.0 ride for my 2.3 LX!!!:rolleyes:

Can't you just go back into hiding?

tireburner163 02-13-2003 03:06 PM

LOL, I feel the need to post this, just to show how stupid Eric is. I showed him a link to Maximum Motorsports site showing a 6 point roll bar. This is what he said.

Eric says:
believe what you want to

Eric says:
your just 18yrs old

Tireburner says:
LMAO

Tireburner says:
your a ******* retard

Tireburner says:
I just showed you proff

Tireburner says:
Proof

Tireburner says:
I can provide you with 10 other web-site that all list 6 points

Eric says:
Yeah i'm a retard. But i'm 8 seconds quicker than you in a 1/4. who's the idiot????

Tireburner says:
and they all have side bars

Tireburner says:
sure you are,

Eric says:
ask any chassis shop what a 6 point cage involves. NO SIDE BARS

Tireburner says:
hey I know, I bet Billy Gilldin would trade me his Pro 5.0 ride for my 2.3 LX

Eric says:
why would he want yours? it's a pos

Eric says:
later

tireburner163 02-13-2003 03:13 PM

is a 4-point NHRA legal to run into the 13's?

Mustangbelle306 02-13-2003 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tireburner163
I don't want a bolt-in.

And a 6 point has side bars.

This the first time I've EVER heard ANYONE say that a 6 pt cage doesn't have side bars...That was too surprising to NOT comment while lurking :D

Damn when did you two start hating each other? :confused: Last time I heard from both of you, ya'll were friends and Josh wanted to hang with you at some meet and help with your car...

Guess things change :eek:

I believe a 4 pointer is necessary AND legal for verts under 13.99 et. As companies go, I hear S&W Race Cars is VERY good with cages...I'm not sure if they sell the kits or just do custom installs, but its worth looking into...they are located in PA and advertise in MMFF. Good luck!

Mustangbelle306 02-13-2003 04:08 PM

Here you go:

http://www.nhra.com/contacts/tech_faq.html

A roll bar is required in any convertible running 13.99 seconds or quicker in the quarter mile, and in other cars beginning at 11.99. The roll bar is accepted in vehicles running as quick as 10.00 second e.t., provided the stock firewall and floorboard is intact, other than for installation of wheel tubs. The rollbar must be constructed of minimum 1 ¾ inch o.d. x .118 inch wall mild steel tubing, or 1 ¾ x .083 chrome moly tubing.

Looks like you DO need a 6 pter, maybe NMRA is different...? There are diagrams as well at that link.

Belle

andy669 02-13-2003 09:23 PM

Thanks for that, Josh. I needed a good laugh.

tireburner163 02-13-2003 10:08 PM

that's for the info bell

Stang_Crazy 02-13-2003 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tireburner163
...I feel the need to post this, just to show how stupid Eric is....
Catfight! :D ;) :)

Fox Body 02-14-2003 12:21 AM

MISS YA 'BELLE!

Josh, try here: S&W Race Cars . That's where I got my 6-point cage from. Look here or here for pics of it in my car. They sell the swing out kit for the cage. Their mild steel cages can easily be MIG-welded unlike the more expensive chromoly cages (which are a tad lighter in weight and need TIG welding). S&W also provides 6-steel 6"x6"x1/8" plates.

Just for the record, NHRA rules state that any convertible street car running 13.99 or quicker must have at least a 5-point cage (main hoop-2 points, back bars-2 points and driver's side diagonal bar-one point). (Cross bar that goes between main hoop does not count as "points"-- "Points" are only where roll cage is welded/bolted to floor). And the driver's side swing out bar is permitted. If not convertible, then at least a 5-point cage (same as above) for 11.99 or quicker. (plus what Mustangbelle already mentioned) But then again, you didn't ask all that, you just want a 4-point cage, sorry, don't know about where to get those :D

JaxTheDJ 02-15-2003 07:27 AM

I just installed my new 6 pt rollbar with sidebars.......LOL,I got it from ART in Clearwater for 130.00 WWW.APPLIEDRACING.COM
it's worth a look
Jack

tireburner163 02-16-2003 10:44 AM

Fox Body you got a 6 point from S&W? All I see are listings for 8 and 10 points on their site:confused:

Can I unbolt swing out doors and take them off for when I'm daily driving it?

Fox Body 02-16-2003 01:36 PM

Sorry for forgetting to mention that technically, S&W sells 8 and 10-point roll cages. But if you want a 6-point cage, you buy the 8-point which is $150 (same as 6) and leave out the two main hoop cross bars that go to the transmission floor hump. I didn't put in the swing out kit on my cage, but I'm almost 100% sure that it allows the door diagonal bar so you can unbolt and take it off for when you're daily driving it. If you decide to get S&W cage and will get the swing out bar kit, let me know b4 you do.