MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-05-2002, 01:29 AM   #1
Frankenstang65
Registered Member

Question Muffler Comparison

I think it's about time for a muffler swap on the stang, but I'm having some trouble making up my mind. I am sure that I want that famous "flowmaster sound" but can't decide between the 40 series two chambers and the Delta flow two chambers. I've got a freind with the 40 series mufflers and that thing shakes the ground with fury (heart beats faster just thinking about it). On the downside, there is noticeable interior resonance. I was thinking that the delta flows would remedy this problem, but I don't want to sacrafice the quality of the sound on the outside. My car is already too quiet and I want to make a big improvment noise quantity and quality without becoming a public nuisance. Have any of you guys heard the delta flow 2 chambers? How do the two compare?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
1965 Coupe: 351W, comp cam, Aluminum Systemax II heads (2.02/1.60), 1.7 Cobra full roller rockers, Edelbrock intake, Holley 650 double pumper, Mallory Unilite, MSD-6AL, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD heli-core plug wires, Hedman headers, 2 1/2" exhaust (GT style) w/ 40 series delta flows, 69 C4 w/ shift kit, shelby traction bars, 3.55:1 rear

Daily Driver:
1989 GT- 5spd, K&N (no silencer), Shorty Headers, King Cobra Clutch, Flowmaster Force II Cat-back
Frankenstang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 01:50 AM   #2
66StangGuy
Registered Member

i have the 40 seriese flows. they sound great. you said that your friend has them also but you dont like the noise inside the car? depends on where the exhaust ends at (correct me if im wrong) mine comes out the back in 2 1/2 pipes and i dont hear much sound inside unless im on the freeway going 70 or so at 4,000RPM's. My opinion would to go with the 40 seriese and just get a big stereo system and drownd out the sound like i do..
Old 03-05-2002, 04:04 AM   #3
jwboner
Registered Member

I personally use the delta flows. I read about them and are supposed to reduce interior noise without affecting the exterior rumble too much. I've got a lot of engine and it's hard to keep it quiet with anything. I am almost a nuisance already, If I had the regular 2 chamber it would be unbearable. The delta flows are also supposed to flow more with less back pressure. There are internal diagrams in a lot of the aftermarket mags that sell them, call them and ask them what the differences would be for your setup.
65 fastback 347 DFI injected w/vic jr, TFS heads, MSD, cable clutch TKO, 3.70 9", tc subframe conns, custom traction bars, griffen alum radiator, armored fuel cell, and torq thrust D's Retrofitted Prelude seats. Vintage Air underdash kit. Fiberglass here and there too
More on the way all the time.
jwboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 05:46 PM   #4
fordkid68
Registered Member

well I would go with the 40 series you cant beat that sound. but you could do other things to your car to make the sound inside not so loud. I am not sure what exactly you can do but I have heard of people doing it.

ford kid
fordkid68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 06:09 PM   #5
66StangGuy
Registered Member

yeah..you can use dynomat. it is mostly used in car audio for reducing echo and any rattles but if you put it under your carpet and in your trunk it should help reduce all outside noise. also just noticed your pic of your stang. looks pretty mean. what color is that? ben thinking of painting mine and i like yours. thanks
Old 03-06-2002, 03:34 AM   #6
Frankenstang65
Registered Member

Quote:
also just noticed your pic of your stang. looks pretty mean. what color is that? ben thinking of painting mine and i like yours. thanks
Thanks for the compliment, I just finished painting it and re-doing the interior a couple of months ago. The color is called spectra blue, it's a 2001 toyota color. Dupont has several alternate versions of the same paint color, the one I chose was the brightest.
As far as the mufflers go, I figure that I'll still get that famous "flowmaster sound" with the 2 chamber delta flows. From what I've read in the last few days (substantiated by jwboner) is that they out scavenge the 40 series by a wide margin. The next I build is gonna be a real beast, so I think that I'll just play it safe and get the delta flows. I haven't got my mind totally made up though, so if anyone else would like to share input, please do.
1965 Coupe: 351W, comp cam, Aluminum Systemax II heads (2.02/1.60), 1.7 Cobra full roller rockers, Edelbrock intake, Holley 650 double pumper, Mallory Unilite, MSD-6AL, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD heli-core plug wires, Hedman headers, 2 1/2" exhaust (GT style) w/ 40 series delta flows, 69 C4 w/ shift kit, shelby traction bars, 3.55:1 rear

Daily Driver:
1989 GT- 5spd, K&N (no silencer), Shorty Headers, King Cobra Clutch, Flowmaster Force II Cat-back
Frankenstang65 is offline   Reply With Quote