MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-23-2002, 04:08 PM   #1
jason347lx
Registered Member

Default Passenger door wont open

I realize that the door will not open because the actuator has most likely gone bad, but I cant get it open to get to the actuator. I have tried using the key to open it, pulling the door lock up with pliers, using the inside handle and variations of all of these...what can I do to get the door open? Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Old 01-23-2002, 05:50 PM   #2
ALS85GT
Registered Member

Lightbulb

I would recommend using a large pry bar and force that sucker open.------Just kidding. Remove the door panel, and you may need a flash light, but look for the locking mechanism. It's usually on the right side. You may have to fiddle w/it to open the door.

Good luck...
85GT 5.0 was CFI converted to Holley 650. Hooker full length headers, FlowMaster 2 chamber. Weiand Stealth manifold. 86 roller motor, crane 1:7:1 alum rocker arms(roller). SSI 220@.050/498 Roller cam. Summit double roller timing chain. Melling oil pump, stock bottom end. Mallory Hi-Fire ignition. Under drive pulleys. Accell coil and Ford Motorsport 9mm wires. 93'8.8 posi. 4:10s. AOD w/B&M shift kit. No figures yet, still working on it. No back seats or AC.
1989 GT Convert-- All stock w/AOD, Air Silencer removed, DynoMax Mufflers.
ALS85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 05:58 PM   #3
DRASTiK
Registered Member

Once you get into the door like AL said, and it is still "froze" and you can't even open it by hand. Then spray some WD-40 or put some grease on the hinges and moving parts in the mechanism inside the door. That usually will help you work it free again.
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 09:44 PM   #4
stock89
Registered Member

Thumbs down

Jayson,
I had the EXACT same problem not too long ago. What people are forgetting is that you can't really get to the inside of the door without having it open to begin with! The door panel is probably shut in between the dash and the door, making it almost impossible to open without destroying it. I gave mine a day or two for the weather to warm up a bit, then became persistant and was pulling at both exterior and interior latches when it finally opened. I had to rig the metal rod that runs vertically along the handle edge, so that when I pulled up on the handle it had enough force to push the bar down and open the door. If you need assistance PM me. Nothing a few washers and a zip tie can't cure, or a trip to the junkyard....