MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-19-2002, 06:54 PM   #1
Simi Stang

Default door won't open??!!

I have a '90GT that has been attempted to be broken into several times. The last time the little punks tried to get into it they screwed up my passenger door lock pretty good. The key still goes in, but will not turn. It will not open from the inside or the outside. Luckily the window still rolls down so that my wife can slide in the window "Dukes of Hazzard" Daisy style. But the damned thing will not open! I've tried just about everything. slim jims, yanking on the actual lock head that pops up and down out of the top of the door handle channel locks, using channel locks and the key at the same time, using channel locks and a slim jim at the same time, soaking everything I could see with a flashlight inside the door panel with WD-40 to help loosen things up, like maybe a frozen solenoid. The channel locks ended up ripping out the entire metal rod that the lock head screws onto. I can't get the door panel off because the door is...well...stuck shut. Obviously I have to replace the locks and maybe the solenoid(s) that control the power locks, once I get it open. Any ideas?? Please help, it's getting old real fast.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:39 PM   #2
Conman
Registered Member

your gonna have to get at the internals from the inside. I think the door panel has to come off. Never tried to do it with the door closed but it still should be able to be done.

Sorry I'm not much help but without being able to see what's going on inside you'll never get it open

'88 lx, Black on Black, check it out here

Spent all my money on school, what a dumb mistake

I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 09:26 PM   #3
gofastmercury
Registered Member

Being a body guy, I run into this every now and again. Trust me, it sucks, even if you done a few. Just a few questions, Does the out side door handel "feel" like its attached to any thing or does it flop around? What about the inside? Sometimes the rods get bent up and jam up the works. Is it unlocking? Not what you want to hear, but the trim panel sometimes just has to come off. Work around the seat and pry at it. You might wreck it. Hopefully you can go to a wrecker and get one cheap if you do. Have fun.
corrects to:13.86@100
66 merc comet351w, isky roller 600 lift 268/260@.050, vic jr. 700DP, 5000stall, 4.56's c-4, 3400lbs with driver
12.3@110 @ 4000ft 1.69 60 ft
corrects to:11.69@115
gofastmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 12:35 PM   #4
Simi Stang

Default door won't open??

The outside handle feels attached, but won't engage that extra little bit to actually open the door. It's like it is jammed. Same for the inside handle. No, it will not unlock. It looks as if the thieves tried to stick a screwdriver into the outside lock to pry it open. It is bent a little. I don't know about ruining my entire door panel just to get it open though? Maybe I'll just have to pay to have a locksmith drill out the lock. I was hoping to do it myself though. Any locksmiths out there with some tips?
Old 09-20-2002, 01:47 PM   #5
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

hummm....I say take the passenger's seat out and pry the door pannel off. You might break the black plasic clips that hold it on, but they aren't that much.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 02:10 PM   #6
Simi Stang

Default door won't open??

But do you think that is possible with the dash and the actual door jam sandwiching the door panel between the door and the car? It doesn't seem possible...unless I literally cut or broke the panel out piece by piece. I don't mind breaking off the plastic tabs, but I was hoping to not ruin the door panel itself.
Old 09-21-2002, 07:57 AM   #7
82 GT
Import Slayer

I was going to say what tireburner said. Take the passenger seat out, which probably won't be fun from inside the car.
The door panel shouldn't be up against the door post. Look at the driver's door and you will notice the door panel ends before the door post If that was the case then the door would never be able to shut all the way.
The only thing the would really restrict you from thating the panel off after the seat was out would be the dash but once you had the rest of the panel off then you could reach inside the panel with your hand and knock the rest of the panel, near the dash, off.
Sorry, but there isn't an "easy" way to do this unless you hire a locksmith like you were considerinig and have him worry about it.

Good luck
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 11:28 AM   #8
Simi Stang

Default door won't open??!!

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll give it a try and let you know what happens.