MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-07-2002, 01:27 AM   #1
Dster20
Registered Member

Question street legal?

I own a '66 coupe, and while discussing what my plans were, I was asked by a friend of mine what constitutes "street legal" vs. "racing". I really couldn't give him much of an answer, so if anyone out there could help me out on this I'd appreciate it. I'm not sure if it's performance, parts, etc. I know there are legal constrictions on tires, but wasn't sure what there was for actual performance. Any information is appreciated, or links to help me figure this out.
Dster20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 10:13 AM   #2
66fastback
Registered Member

Contact your state's Department Of Transportation (DOT). They are the ones who set these standards, and you should be able to get exact specifications on what is/is not legal in your state.
Old 02-07-2002, 08:55 PM   #3
Rev
Registered Member

When people refer to "street legal", it just means that the car is legal to drive on the street. It will need to be licensed and inspected. Most states require some kind of emissions test to get a sticker as well as safety considerations. That means of course that it has to have a horn, windshield wipers etc. Slicks are not DOT legal but drag radials are. So "street legal" means just what it says, legal to drive on the street.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 04:00 AM   #4
69fastback
IRAQ VET

I will have to dissagree with rev all u have to have to be street leagal is registrtion and insurance and notheing else. I dont' have any wind shild whipers, turn signals or a heater. And i will assure i was not the only car there like that. There was more than one care there without any of those things. It is all a matter of the state laws and what ehy will alloow as far as street leagal.
91 GT
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 11:35 AM   #5
Kisner
Registered Member

Not sure if every state is different, but in Mississippi to be street legal you have to have registration, insurance, and an inspection sticker. To get the inspection sticker, you have to have a working horn, wipers, turn signals, headlights, tail lights, and break lights. And of course, the $5 for the inspection sticker.
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 11:07 AM   #6
thunderbolt
Registered Member

How can you disagree with rev on this one? It is either legel to drive it on the street or it isn't. Tollerated and legal are two different things. Different states have different versions of what "Street legal" is. And differnt states have differnent levels of tollerance. Back in Oregon you could almost drive anything with a plate on it. In some states street legal is little more than licence, and registration. In other states, street legal is very complex, California for example; which is why you see so many aftermarket parts claiming to be legal in 49 states except California.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote