MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-11-2002, 08:41 AM   #1
RedLilPony
It's been awhile, huh?

Talking HELP! AutoRama is Coming!

Hey everyone! I don't know if you all know what AutoRama is so here's the jist of it: It's a HUGE 3 day car show in Houston were people come from all over the U.S. of A. to show their immaculate cars. Well my 68 Fastback is in with no problems but SOMEHOW my 99 GT got in and she needs some work BAD!

Does anyone have any sugestions for some not-to-terribly-expensive "pretty" mods?

Here's the list so far:
1. Repaint front clip
2. Repaint brakes
3. Buy chrome strut tower brace
4. MAYBE Buy Steeda chrome dress-up kit
5. Buy new under-the-hood mat

AND Does anyone have an idea for a display? I was think since the club is going with a red/white/blue theme that I might want to stick with that...?

ALSO: PLEASE SEND CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE JODI ROBBINS FUND! Your support is needed and appreciated!!!

RedLilPony.com
RedLilPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 11:20 AM   #2
Shelby428cj
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Jodi sorry I dont have any advice but wanted to tell you have some really nice stangs there!!! I love your 1968 Fastback!!! Nice work!!!

See Ya,
Karen
1969 Mustang (Project Rice Eater)
1999 Silver Mustang Saleen S281 (SQ car for stereo contests)
SQ Goddess
My Stereo Bro "tireburner163"
Shelby428cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 01:04 AM   #3
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Talking Sorry Jodi, I got LONGWINDED!!!!!!!!!

Hi Jodi.
Sorry I have not got back to you till now...I thought this would be as good as thread as any....things have been KAOS for me the past 6 months since i bought my house. Im sure you know. Anyways, welcome back, and I look forward to seeing ya around town more! Did you move back, or are you still at school?

Well, for AUTORAMA............Congrats! I have done Autorama the last 3 years in a row. Placed 2nd all 3 in "Post War Convertible"...{ya, what a screwed up class!} And it surely was not the GULF WAR! Also, Me and WhiteSnake judged it 2 years ago. Based on my expirience in showing AND being fortunate to have actually judged AUTORAMA, I'll give ya my two cents as to what I feel is important,and some insight of what I noticed about the cars I judged.. hope it some help to ya!

The main thing to keep in mind, is not just what you have IN or ON your car....the main theme is CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN...and I dont just mean a regular weekend washing! EVERY INCH of your car, engine, undercarriage, interior, has to be spotless. THey will find ANYTHING...Best bet is to put them on a lift and blast the undercarriage real good and go over it w/ a fine tooth comb. Including suspension, exaust, and everything else. The undercarriage IS JUDGED in A-rama, which I'm sure you prolly are aware of! If there is "Hidden Dirt" they will find it..(our beef is..if its "hidden" how the hell can they see it??????????????

Watch for Waterspots on anything. (chrome/stainless) Inside of wheels....CLEAN! No brake dust and crap/mud/dirt...(Ive seen tons of that!) carpet Vacuumed CLEAN..if you have any spots, I'd try to get them out. I replaced my carpet the week b4 last year, and unfortunately due to my neglect of my car this year, its trashed again. Have spilled about 4 GLASSES of coffee and an orange drink in it. Make sure there is not WAX IN THE CRACKS, and alot of wax, or armoral residue on your paint. You'd be surprised how many people show w/ armoral accidently splattered on thier paint. Youd be surprised how many SHOW there w/ out even WASHING THEM!

One thing that BLEW MY MIND was .....as far as AutoRama Goes...every car should be IMMACULATE! For THIS show especially! I bet 90% of the cars we judged were just Filthy! They had crap thrown IN THE CAR...(Cleaning supplies, just misc. bullshit) funny thing is...it did not look like they even used them! Alot of the cars look AWESOME from the OUTSIDE Of the ropes. But when the judges get in your car, they will see things that others will not see from the outside. We judged an AWESOME looking Hemi Cuda, when we went around it, and in it, it looked like it had not been cleaned in the 30 years that it was owned! I was appaulled! I would rather see a nice STOCK car, CLEAN than a beefed up old Muscle Car that is filthy. There was one car w/ actual Paint DRIPS hanging from the HOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(inside) obviously, nice wiring, no duct tape, tin foil, bungee cords..(yes, have seen ALL OF THAT!) "ATTENTION TO DETAIL"..meaning...Clean, and neat, and nicely done. ) Also, pay attention to your door jams...make sure they are clean and free of grime and grease. Trunk fittings as well as the trunk Carpet and the rubber trim around the trunk, and the exterior crevices around your headlights/tailights. Also the gas tank, and inside your wheel wells.

DO NOT forget your OIL/WATER/GAS cans and a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit per car. Dont be too concerned about paint chips or scratches here and there. Just as long as youve got a good wax job, that looks better than someone who painted over a big blotch of rust, or even better than a perfect paint job that has dirt , wax and armorall all over it.

Pay attention to the seats, make sure they are clean. Vacuumed. not crusty stuff growing out of the seams. Dash cleaned and dirt/dust free. I do the airvents, crevices all around the a/c,stereo,clock, steering wheel, gauges, anywhere there are cracks or crevices. Make up Q-tips are GREAT for this stuff! I'm sure alot of this stuff you allready know Jodi. But like myself, only doing about 3 shows this WHOLE year after doing 36 last year, alot of things we forget and I take for granted how much I used to baby my car. Hell, my rearview mirror is STILL in my garage. Been there for about 6 weeks now and were doing the Cobra Club show this Sunday...(btw: i sent you the email on that one I think if you wanna go, lemme know!!)
As far as your display..that is entirely up to YOU! I have always liked for the display to be a part of me and my car. If you wanna go w/ the theme of the club, thats cool...I always like seeing someone put more into bringing attention to them and thier car and thier accomplishments...IE: Framing the mag. articles youve been in and displaying the cover of the mag w/ the ariticle. ( I know you have some!) This is something I ALWAYS do! Even though they might be old articles, its always VERY COOL to look at a car, and see it has been printed, and it kind of makes you know the car/driver.
Display sign...I dont remember if you have any for your cars...even it you dont have many "mods" a nice sign is a must. And if you need one done, PLEASE let me know, and I'll hook you up. They can be changed as your mods change.
Well..i've been working on this post now for about 3 hours. MY FKNG COMPUTER HAS CRASHED TWICE! AND THANK GOD I THOUGHT TO SAVE IT IN A DRAFT BEFORE I KICKED THE SH*T OUT OF IT!

If I think of more, I'll let you know. But for tonight, I'm gonna cut it off...your gonna hate me allready now cuz this is so damn long. Sorry......and BTW: YOU HAVE A JOB AHEAD OF YOU! I admire you for entering 2 cars. I cannot EVEN imagine entering 2 cars...I know what I go thru to get my daily driver in there. I could not EVEN fathom the idea! But, I know your dad will be there to help you! Please take his help. Its ALOT of work. And I know he would be proud and happy to help you! I DONT think I'm gonna show there this year, but I'm still undecided. I'll do like usual and wait for the last minute to decided. Might just kick back and enjoy this year, although there is ALOT of pride to walk thru that NEW ARENA NOW THIS YEAR!!!!!!! and see your own car there!!!!! It is an awesome feeling, and I wish you all the luck. If I can do anything to help, please call me. If ya want, if I dont show, I'll be glad to help you clean them up! lemme know! Good to 'see' you again, and CONGRATS ON YOUR ENGAGEMENT AS WELL! I'M REALLY HAPPY FOR YA! Sieze the moment!

luv ya girl.......and best of luck to ya!
Christine TNT

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 08:26 AM   #4
RedLilPony
It's been awhile, huh?

WOW! What a thread! Thanks for the advice! I remember a lot of it now that I read it. I TOTALLY forgot about oil/gas/water cans and I probably(is that spelled right? ) would have forgotten the sign with my mods on it. hmmmmmm so much to do!

PS - the crappy part is I have to haul my golden retriever to Houston with me IN MY MUSTANG! HAIR HAIR HAIR!!!!!

Oh well, we do it for the... fun of it? excitement? You get the idea!

RedLilPony.com
RedLilPony is offline   Reply With Quote