MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-05-2002, 09:03 AM   #1
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

Default Don't let this happen to you...

This is something that I NEVER thought that would happen...

On my way to work this morning, I couldn't believe it..... MY DAMN HOOD FLEW UP!!!

It was my own fault. I was working on my car last night and set the hood down on the pins but didn't clip them. I didn't know if I had to open the hood later on. Well, after I finished, I forgot to clip them back in.

I am glad that I was only going about 35 mph and it didn't hit my roof or my windsheild. There is just a little chunk taken out of my cowl and my cowl grill and wipers are all screwed up!

Does anybody know how much it would cost to repair it? I didn't get a very good look at it because it was dark out at the time it happened. I'll have to check it out and see how bad it really is. I guess this is going to set my little "project" back a little bit.
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 09:12 AM   #2
geno5.0
Registered Member

Default OUCH!!!!!!

THAT SUCKS @#%$*& !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
geno5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 06:25 PM   #3
chatcher
Registered Member

i had that happen to me once after a collision i was on my way home after a minor front end wreck when the hood flew up on me after careful inspection i noticed dents on the roof and also on the cowl fortuanly it all got repaired by ins if you have full coverage call your ins theyll prob fix it without to much fuss
Old 03-06-2002, 01:24 AM   #4
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thumbs down

Dude! If it helps at all, I'm glad it flew up b4 you got going any faster. I've seen that smash windshields b4! Not pretty. The closest thing like that that has ever happened to me is when I first built my motor, I didn't have an aftermarket hood to clear the breather so I cut the original hood so the breather would stick up through it. While inside a mall, some subhuman life form unscrewed the wingnut on the pan cover and I didn't notice, not until I got up to about 35 mph on the road and the theing flew off and hit my roof, right above the windshield (REALLY close). It hit hard too. I turned around and it hadn't done any major damage to the car but the pan cover was screwed. Later that week I found that the idiot who unscrewed it simply threw the wingnut on my intake-- found it laying b/t the intake and head. That was the last time it has seen the mall parking lot.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 08:39 AM   #5
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

Well, after checking it out last night.... Thank God that it didn't do any more then what it did. My friend was supprised that the hood didn't shatter. There is just a little nick in it. I'll have to take some pics of it. I took off the remainig parts of the grill. I also pulled the bent sheet metal back up so my wippers would work . I am going to take her off the street here in a few months so I am debating on if I should fix her now or wait. I am defenitly getting a new hood. This time it is going to be a lift off hood with 4 HOOD PINS because 2 doesn't seem to work I am either going to get a 3" or 4" cowl, I haven't made up my mind yet.
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 11:15 AM   #6
theforce
Registered Member

Cool New Hood

If you do a lift off, don't use 4 hood pins. You need more stability and tighter fit. Use about 8 Dzus fasteners (these are fasteners used on racecars hoods, front ends, and removable panels). I just did a 4" cowl on mine. The hood I think is about 8lbs. and its going nowhere even if the car is over 130mph. That is just my opinion. The Force
Old 03-06-2002, 03:32 PM   #7
jpumpkinn
Registered Member

Same exact thing happened to me! Just check out my avatar image. When I read your post I thought it was the exact one I had written! Buying a new hood is probrably best if its really bad. Some people told me it would be over 1000 dollars to fix and repaint the damaged area. The you can buy a new plastic cowl vent for about 70 buck on line. The cowl metal part does not come off. The darn thing is welded on. Sorry this happened to you! I feel your pain. The worst part about it is the way you feel when you realize you left the hood unlatched.
Old 03-06-2002, 04:05 PM   #8
Big Bopper
Registered Member

Talking

I think I have everyone beat!!! My hood came off at 165kp/h !! It ripped the whole hood off in the process, it smashed the cowl,wipers,windshield,sunroof and the roof ! I ended up in the emergency room for 2 hours while they fished glass out of my eyes and face! The little misshap cost me my car! It was not fixable. Now the motor and tranny live on in my Drop-top.