MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-08-2004, 10:18 AM   #1
entermymatrix03
Registered Member

Default maybe its my gas tank?

hey guys, new here and i don't drive a mustang. i drive a 2003 toyota matrix. no flames please. i'm jerri's (stang_grl617) BF and i have a problem with my car that maybe some of you could answer, or she thought so. lets get to it shall we...

ok, this is gonna be hard to explain. you know how when your filling up and when your tank gets full the gas pump kicks off until you pull the nozzle out some? well mine has been doing that after i put like 1.00-1.50 in my car. it keeps doing that until the car is full. i've tried different hose depths and i've tried 3 different gas stations because i thought it was the pumps at first. i've been to the same station twice and both pumps did it and then this morning at a completley different station and it did it there. i know my luck isn't that bad! i used to get 360 miles to the tanks and the previous fill up before this one got me 300 miles and before this fill up i got 345. i do run the AC but that isn't gonna rob 60 miles out of a tank!!! 20 or so i can see, but 60?!?! anyways, if you guys know what in my tank is making the gas pump kick off every dollar and a half please let me know what i can do. i hope i have explained this good enough. thanks.
entermymatrix03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 06:54 PM   #2
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Default Re: maybe its my gas tank?

Quote:
Originally posted by entermymatrix03
hey guys, new here and i don't drive a mustang. i drive a 2003 toyota matrix. no flames please. i'm jerri's (stang_grl617) BF and i have a problem with my car that maybe some of you could answer, or she thought so. lets get to it shall we...

ok, this is gonna be hard to explain. you know how when your filling up and when your tank gets full the gas pump kicks off until you pull the nozzle out some? well mine has been doing that after i put like 1.00-1.50 in my car. it keeps doing that until the car is full. i've tried different hose depths and i've tried 3 different gas stations because i thought it was the pumps at first. i've been to the same station twice and both pumps did it and then this morning at a completley different station and it did it there. i know my luck isn't that bad! i used to get 360 miles to the tanks and the previous fill up before this one got me 300 miles and before this fill up i got 345. i do run the AC but that isn't gonna rob 60 miles out of a tank!!! 20 or so i can see, but 60?!?! anyways, if you guys know what in my tank is making the gas pump kick off every dollar and a half please let me know what i can do. i hope i have explained this good enough. thanks.
no flames, lol j/k with ya, -- are you holding the handle wide open? we have a chevy truck , at work, if you hold the nozzle wide open, it kick's off after 3 second's, have to hold it halfway or less, it's a pita, but, am i close or not. really i'm telling the straight up on this. good luck

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 07:07 PM   #3
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Default Re: Re: maybe its my gas tank?

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Horse GT
no flames, lol j/k with ya, -- are you holding the handle wide open? we have a chevy truck , at work, if you hold the nozzle wide open, it kick's off after 3 second's, have to hold it halfway or less, it's a pita, but, am i close or not. really i'm telling the straight up on this. good luck
The Matrix uses a 13.2 gallon fuel tank in the non-AWD models. This means at empty, you probably still have more than a gallon left. So at 12 gallons for 360 miles, you're getting 30mpg. If you were to get only 300 miles, it would still be 25 miles per gallon, and at 345 you'd be sitting at nearly 29mpg.

A mix of more city driving than normal, coupled with the A/C would easily account for the drop in fuel economy. No offense, but I believe you have the 130hp version. Even with better than 250hp, and a ton of torque, my 88, 87, and 02GT's suffered 2-3mpg for running the A/C all the time. With 130hp and less torque, it's going to significantly pull on the little engine, especially at lower rpm to keep the A/C running. No joke, but the A/C can rob significant horsepower.

In regards to your gas filling problems, I've had the same problem from time to time in many of my cars. A lot of modern gas stations have powerful pumps that simply pump more fuel than what your tank's filler neck can get into the tank. This causes a backup of fuel in the filler neck, and that trips the sensor on the filler nozzle resulting in the fuel flow stopping.

As Crazy Horse GT stated, just don't hold the filler wide open, and you should have no problems.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 07:18 PM   #4
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

The gas vapor is too much for the venting to handle, slow it down.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:20 PM   #5
LX5liter
dude5l

Your vent may have been blocked off somewhere. It is usually in the filler neck, although some run external on the outside of the filler neck. If its an external vent line look for a blockage or bent line, if its an internal vent you could get one from a wrecker and see if it makes a difference.

Brad R.
1992 L.X. 5.0 coupe
MODS: A few little bolt ons
New Best time ...11.60 @ 128 mph @ 2000+ ft altitude.

Rice Haters Club member #39

Users rides #2542
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 01:48 PM   #6
Capri306

Hehe, just run a red gas can in the back seat, like the demolition derby cars. j/k yeah I agree there's probably some sort of blockage in there, and more than likely you're not the only person with that vehicle and that problem. I'd check with a dealership and see if there's a TSB on it. Might be an easier/cheaper fix than ya think! Good luck.

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 01:35 AM   #7
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

My parents had the same thing happen to thier 99 sonata. My parents got the car to go on a trip to visit my grandma about 600 miles away and we had to deal with the gas nozzle shutting off every few seconds until the tank was full. It would take up to 30 minutes to fill up the tank. It was very very frusterating and annoying. As soon as we got back home my dad took the car in to have it checked out. I dont recall what the problem was exactly but we took it to the dealership and they had to replace the entire gas tank! It was under warranty and we got a full tank of gas when the car was done!