View Single Post
Old 03-13-2002, 01:26 PM   #1
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Angry Just failed Emissions test!

As you can see my Engine is pretty stock. I had replaced the ripped up Thermactor air tubes, seems like I have the only stang around with that stuff working still!

During last summer etc, got an Accell Cap/Rotor FMS 9mm wires, new motorcraft plugs, new Motorcraft PCV, K&N filter. Have ran lots of injector cleaner, and when changing the valve cover gaskets, I totally cleaned out the upper intake, TB and idle compensator valve, and sprayed down the lower intake runners.

As the car was on the Dyno, ( Mass has the evil dyno test!!) I realized I never changed the O2 sensors since I was going to wait till the long tubes went in. I heard the tech going through several cycles, not good hmm

Of it comes, I failed the HC portion, got 2.77 PPM, 2.0 max Mass does a real time test and there was a spike at higer speed that kept coming up. The CO and NOX were in range but near the top.

I have 125K on the motor and O2 sensors, so this seems like a no brainer, but yuck what if I had more mods!! This seems like a pretty tough test. I may not pass even with long tubes and a cat pipe?!?! I do have 2 years till the next test, was planning on a offroad X pipe till then.

Any other tricks or tips, I figure on cleaning out the TB again, change out the 02's new plugs and fresh oil. Maybe a new PCV and screen ( did not swap out the screen last time) Can't imagine I need a new cap/rotor already. Timing is at 8° and 87 octane

93 P-71 Vic interceptor Backup car now

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

74 Chevy Laguna type S-3 454 under construction
Currently apart undergoing bodywork.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote