View Single Post
Old 07-07-2002, 02:33 PM   #12
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Smile Regionalisms

Regionalisms are always amusing.

How many people say 'down cellar' for basement as we do in New England?

Depending where you live, a 'submarine' sandwich is called a Hogie, Hero, Grinder, Torpedo and sometimes a Poor Boy.

I grew up in the New York City suburbs of Long Island and we always said we were 'Going to the city' when we meant Manhattan. Everyone knew exactly what city we meant.

The 'Coke' thing changes depending where you are. In Boston and Northern New England, it's called 'tonic'. Then we have Soda and of course, Pop.

In the northern New England states like Maine, when your not born there there you're : 'From Away'. No matter if 'away' is New York or China, it's all: 'Away'.

New Englanders also like to substitute 'us' for 'me'; i.e. "Woodya make us a cuppa coffee?"

New Jersey residents say they are going 'Down the shore' when they go to the beach. In CT, we just say we're 'Going to the water'.

Tons more but you get the idea.

I've been in many places and have heard them all. Some are confusing, some are just silly but they all make up what passes for 'American' in both language and the terms we use. Interesting stuff; keep 'em coming.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote