MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Audio, Security, & Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-01-2003, 12:19 PM   #1
hobgoblin351
Registered Member

Default Advice on new system for a 70 vert

Hey Tireburner, if you're really the master I need your advice! I'm just putting the finishing touches on my 1970 Candy Apple Red convertible. It's now time for the tunes. I dont have alot of room to work with as far as speakers. So custom is in order. Here's what I'm thinking tell me if I'm on the right path.
There is really no room in the dash, and any speaker would be bouncing sound off the windshield. So, I'm putting the front speakers in the doors. Probably 4" or 5" down in the lower front of the panel. I looking at Infinety Kappa's , duels or maybe tri's. I may have to build them out a 1/2 inch or so to clear the window regulators. The rear is much worse. No place at all. I looking at a small component setup. They're like a 4" by 6" panel and come with a small midrange a tweeter mounted. Infinety Kapps again. They say they can handle 100watts. The good thing is they are shallow so I can sink them into the rear quater trim panels. I'll only have to build a box that comes out an inch or so. Since all the speakers are relatively small a sub woofer is inorder, to handle the low end. Fitting one in the trunk is no small feat, since the convertible top well takes up most of the useable trunk space, and my gas tank also doubles as the trunk floor! Yeah I know who's idea was that! lol I was looking at one of those Tube woofers. But I might go with a 10" Kappa if I can find a place to mount the box.
Does it sound like I'm on the right track? What do you think of speaker selection as far as size and brand? For the fronts they make speaks with the directional tweets, are they reallt worth it? Are those rear components a good choice? What should I do for a sub-woofer? This is going to be one hot car and I need a good system! Thanks in advance
Scrw in studs/comp cams rllr rkr
Mldn valves 2.19in 1.71ex
ported polished cc'd hrdnd ex
Keith Black FT pistons(10.25/1)
Weiand Excellorator manifold
Holley700 DP mech 2nds
MSD 6 box and Dis
Headers/2 1/2 inch duels
tr: modified FMX
re:9-inch/3.89 limited slip
hobgoblin351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:08 AM   #2
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

I'm helping my neighbor with his 70 fastback right now and it's a *****.

Do you have door speakers(he doesn't). If so what size? Hell I need to know all the speaker hole sizes, lol.

Kappa's are for sure nice. Also Alpine Type R's are good too.

To tell you the truth the Kappa sub isn't all that great. A 10" would work, but IMO your gonna need a little more oomph because it's a vert. If you want some sound a high-way speeds I suggest a 12" sub-woofer.

If you wanna save yourself some money try ordering from Scala1 on E-bay. I got a lot of my audio stuff from him. Great prices.

Over all I think your on the right track, I would just change what sub your getting. Also don't put it in a tube.

P.S. I've got a Kicker Comp VR that's never been opened if you want it. $100

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 06:54 PM   #3
tireburner163

I looked at those Kappa 4x6 plate sets with the mid-range and separate tweeter today. I say get those if your gonna go with Kappa's.

From the front door I say some 3-way Kappa 5.25" speakers, unless you wanna run a componet set.

1998 HD Electra Elide
Old 02-03-2003, 10:44 PM   #4
hobgoblin351
Registered Member

Hey thanks for the input! The stock speaker sizes for that year sucked!! They had one stock in the dask I think it was a 5 by 7. In the doors there were also 4 by 6's but they were placed in the lower rear of the door. The sound goes right into the seat cushion! You should be able to put 6 by 9's in the rear deck though. I cut holes in the lower front of the doors to mount speakers. You have to cut the panel and the door itself. I cant remember offhand how big they were 4" maybe 5"'s. I'd look for ya but the car is stored for the winter. The thing is you have to be careful with the fronts because the door regulator clearence. You cant go all that deep into the door 2 maybe 3 inches depending on the size of the magnet. Also you have to be aware of the regulator handle on the outside. It's got to be able to turn and not hit the speaker cover! Unless of course you put in power windows!
About the sub, I really dont want to use a tube. But, I can't figure out a place to mount a box. If he's got a 70 look in the trunk and see what you think. I've got the battery mounted on the passanger side next to the wheel well. You cant mount it to the damn trunk! do you think it would fit on the driver side wheelwell? 10" maybe but a 12" I dont know
Scrw in studs/comp cams rllr rkr
Mldn valves 2.19in 1.71ex
ported polished cc'd hrdnd ex
Keith Black FT pistons(10.25/1)
Weiand Excellorator manifold
Holley700 DP mech 2nds
MSD 6 box and Dis
Headers/2 1/2 inch duels
tr: modified FMX
re:9-inch/3.89 limited slip
hobgoblin351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 05:10 PM   #5
tireburner163

you and 6T9 Pony are both wussies

I've seen two 12's in a ported box in the back of a fox body vert.

I'll probably have to build (or have built) a cusom box. It's no big deal at all. Peice of cake.

I am 98% sure you can fit a sub in there no problem. A tube is gonna take up just as much room as a box

L8ter,
Josh aka the tireburner

P.S. if you've got AIM hit me up, my SN is tireburner663, I'll walk you through your problems.

1998 HD Electra Elide