MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Audio, Security, & Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-19-2001, 09:56 AM   #1
SmokeyDP
Registered Member

Post Anyone put a Sub in the back of a Fox vert?

I have a Q-Logic Bass tube with a Kenwood 10" Sub(600Watt). I have my front door speakers hooked up to a 100watt rockford amp and I have a 4 channel 600watt Jensen amp(75x4) for the back door speakers and the sub(yeah I know this amp sucks...the rockford is louder). I have a top of the line kenwood head unit and a Pioneer EQ. The bass is loud, but I want it louder, do you think I should try a regular box with 2 10"s with a different amp, or should I just try to put a bigger amp on this box? You can hear the bass a little with the top down.

I was thinking of getting Kenwood KAC-959 Amp...5 channels (60x4, and 150x1) Anyone know if this will be better than what I have now?

BTW...if anyone has a 87-93 Convertible like me with a box. If you remove the plastic sheild that the top sits in and hides the top motor, the bass becomes sooooo much louder and there is little rattle.

Scott

------------------
1992 GT 5.0L Convertible
BBK Shorties, Flowmasters, Super Chip, Mass Air, Under Drive Pullies, Hurst Shifter, Duck Tape
AIM: SmokeyDP

[This message has been edited by SmokeyDP (edited 06-19-2001).]
SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 01:30 PM   #2
Power
Registered Member

Hey bro, hate to tell you this, but you just ran into a problem that plagues the audio industry and has no simple solution; the vert. There is no foolproof way to install in vert's to create solid sound and balance.

As for your questions, I didn't look up the specs on the Kenwood but am sure that it can cruise over the 600 watt mark pretty easily and more power. If you wanna leave the bass tube behind and you want bass and more bass in your limited area I would suggest a bandpass setup. This is a two or three chambered box with sub(s) firing into the second or middle chamber which is ported. Excellent for bass needs in a smaller area. My first system had nothing but a bandpass generic 8" and it hit harder than my buddies two pioneer 12"'s

For the Kenwood amp question, it is a good amp but I'm not sure what you wanted it for. If you were going to use it to push your doors then it would be pretty good, but for the sub, I would stay with the rockford amp.

To summarize, I would probably first try pushing more power through the bass tube(check your speaker specs for safety) and seeing if you achieve what you were looking for. If it doesnt do it try upgrading to the other box and see what happens.

You won't ever get your bass to hit as hard as a non-vert but you can usually get it halfway close.

Thanks for the info on the top cover rattling with the bass. Something to remember.

[This message has been edited by Power (edited 06-19-2001).]
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 12:53 AM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I would not waste any time or money putting more power to your 10 inch sub in the tube.

I have never been a big fan of 10 inch woofers cause 12's hit harder and deeper cost about the same and operate on the same watts as a 10 inch sub.

I agree with (power) on this one a band pass box is the way to go. You will get a deep solid boom in a compact box. Personaly I would go with 12's cause of the reasons that I stated above.

Choose your woofers right and you wont need a monster amp to run them. Get some woofers that operate on 200-300 watts rms. Then buy an amp that matches there power range. As far as amps go that are gonna run subs you better go with "quality" My personal favorites are the fosgate amps they give the most bang for the buck.

------------------
88 mustang gt convertible bored to 306 BBk equal length headers mac cold air fender kit cowl hood nitto drag radials ford racing clutch flow masters h-pipe 160* thermostat 16 degrees of timing electric fan off 94' t-bird jacobs electronics cap and wires. Edelbrock 1 1/2 inch drop springs.
best 60 ft 2.14, best 1/8th 9.65, best 1/4 15.2 @89mph, Stock gears and 3000+ Altitude
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote