MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Audio, Security, & Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-27-2000, 03:16 AM   #1
StreetRacin89Stang
Registered Member

Post ATTN: Car Audio Enthusiasts

Second to my love of the 5.0 mustang is my love for building car audio systems. Anyone with a custom or loud system post a message. Im just curious to see whats out there.

------------------
89 5.0 GT White w/Blue Racing Stripes
K&N, 73mm Mass Air, Ported and Polished Stock Heads, E303 Cam, MAC equal Length Headers, Off Road H-Pipe, Borla Mufflers, Sway Bars, Strut Tower, Subframe Connectors, Eibach, Koni Adjustables, Pony 5 Stars, 1000 Watt JL Audio System
StreetRacin89Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2000, 12:17 AM   #2
93SVTstang
Registered Member

I just bought a Calrion CD head unit for my stang since the factory one broke. I have the 6 speaker system and wanted to know if I could run it through the factory amp or would it be better to by-pass it and run the factory speakers off of just the receiver. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
93SVTstang-93 Cobra: 80mm MAF, K&N, 8mm plug wires, shorty headers, off road h-pipe, Borla Cat-back, centerforce clutch, hurst shifter, 3:55s
93SVTstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2000, 02:30 AM   #3
StreetRacin89Stang
Registered Member

Well you have a bit of a dilemma here. First the head unit you bought probably puts out 40X4 max power but in actuallity it probably get about 8-12X4 (this is known as the RMS power or the average power) So u will not be able to power all of your speakers anyways plus it will be a small amount of dirty power. So when you remve the stock deck look to see if u can just take the pre-out wires (will be an RCA cable) off an connect them to the new decks pre-outs. If this fails you might be forced to buy a new amp or run multiple speakers off of one channel of your deck (bad)

------------------
K&N, 73mm Mass Air, Ported and Polished Stock Heads, E303 Cam, MAC equal Length Headers, Off Road H-Pipe, Borla Mufflers, Sway Bars, Strut Tower, Subframe Connectors, Eibach, Koni Adjustables, Pony 5 Stars, 1000 Watt JL Audio System
Old 12-28-2000, 01:58 PM   #4
93SVTstang
Registered Member

Thanks for the help. The receiver put out 45X5...What would have been a better choice, I have not picked it up yet...it is still on its way being shipped, so if you could recommend a better one as soon as possible it would be a big help. Thanks
Old 12-28-2000, 02:01 PM   #5
93SVTstang
Registered Member

One other thing, I will probably be upgrading all of the factory speakers, but couldn't find a place to put an amp. Do you know of a place to put one in a hatchback?

------------------
93SVTstang-93 Cobra: 80mm MAF, K&N, 8mm plug wires, shorty headers, off road h-pipe, Borla Cat-back, centerforce clutch, hurst shifter, 3:55s
Old 12-29-2000, 04:47 PM   #6
tomazzo
Registered Member

Lightbulb

I have a 93 GT with 2 speakers in the dash, 2 speakers in the door panels, and 2 speakers on the rear wheelwells( on each side of the back seat. If this is your config, you can get a harnes adapter to avoid cutting up your harness, and A step down unit that will reduce your output of your head unit to allow it to use your factory amp and speakers. I have a premier(Pioneer) unit that is a 40x4 unit and I have full fader balance control.

If you go to a specialty audio shop and tell them what you want to do, they should know what you will need.

tomazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2000, 12:57 AM   #7
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

System layout:
Clarion ProAudio DRX7575z head unit ('99 model)
ID Chameleon 6.5" 2 ohm components, with the midbasses in custom fiberglass/vinyled door pods, and the tweeters are dash mounted where the 3.5"s used to be. Power is a Kicker ZR120.
Bass comes from 2 IDQ 12 SVC's (4 ohm), wired in parallel, in a custom sealed box, 1.0 cubic feet apiece. Driven by an MTX 2300x (fantastic little amp ). All in all, it's freakin loud. I now need a nice Audiocontrol 24XS so the midbass is more pronounced and the subs cut out on a slightly steeper slope.

------------------
1991 LX Hatch 5.0L
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2001, 05:27 AM   #8
StreetRacin89Stang
Registered Member

That Sounds like a nice Set Up
Im going to go back and build myself a new box because the setup i have now does not hit nearly as loud as when i had an angled box in there.

Current Layout
Clarion 8575 Head Unit
JBL 6.5 (front)
JBl 5X8 (rear)
Both are temporary until my 600a4 arrives to power the set RSB 218's i have in my garage
Custom level enclosure with plexiglass cutout of JL audio logo w/ blue neon underneath
Three 12w3 woofers
power from a RF 800a2 putting out 980+ Watts at 2.6 Ohms
the subs are DVC each having dual 4 ohm VC's
Hits decent but needs to be angled
Fosgate 1 Farad Cap
I did all the labor myself and through friends and the internet built a very nice stereo for very cheap

------------------

[This message has been edited by StreetRacin89Stang (edited 01-01-2001).]
Old 01-02-2001, 01:45 AM   #9
86gter
Registered Member

any one ever see the box jl audio made for the spare tire well for the fox body do you know if they sound ok.
86gter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 11:01 AM   #10
FivepointOH
Registered Member

I have a Kenwood 4x40 head unit and when I installed it I asked the guy at the local shop if I should take out or leave the amp in there. He told me the head unit makes a lot more power and the amp that was in there probably only put out like 5watts a channel or something. I got the special harness from crutchfield(where I ordered my head unit) for free and the guy was right it's definately a lot louder than it was before. I also have a 40watt amplified 10" bazooka tube siting in my closet. I'm debating on whether or not to install this, any of you ever heard one in a 5.0 hatchback before?

------------------
92 AOD GT, K&N, ram air, pulleys, 2 ch. flowmasters, 4:10's, shift kit, 1 5/8 mac longtubes and offroad hpipe 14.249 @ 97.34 mph before the headers and hpipe
FivepointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 06:32 PM   #11
StreetRacin89Stang
Registered Member

Thats interesting because i dont know anything about the stock amp that came with you mustang, i just assmed that it would put out more than your deck, but it is a common misconception that your deck will put out 40X4 or whatever it says. In this case it looks like you are faced with choosing between bad and worse, i would invest in a new amp for your speakers. Thats just my opinion, i could be wrong...

------------------

[This message has been edited by StreetRacin89Stang (edited 01-02-2001).]
Old 01-03-2001, 05:35 AM   #12
redyj91
Registered Member

Hey all, yesterday i put a new head unit in my 97 cobra, replacing the factory mach 460. First problem my base speakers dont work now, high's work fine but no base (the speakers arn't butting anything out [stock]) I suspect this is because i had to bypass the factory amp. The way the wireing harness runs factory is from the ford non-premium harness to a special harnes that goes into the amp and also goes someplace into the dash (guess for amp power and stuff?) the amp is tiny by the way, about 4x6" 2 inches high. Then from the amp it goes up into the factory mach 460 head unit using a dif. connector from either the ford premium or ford stock, this same harnes also connects to the cd player. Problem i ran into was i had to go back to the wires before the amp for a harness that i could get a plug for. thos wires where factory stock stereo, not premium (that is two 1 row connectors, one for speakers, one for power, illumination, amp power, ant. power, etc.) one black, one gray. When i plug into this i dont get anything out of the larger speakers (i have two small ones on the a pillar, two big ones in the door two smalls by the back seat, two bigs by the back seat and a sub somewhere. All the small ones work. BTW: the head unit is the Alpine CVA-1005 Multimedia display system (6.5" screen retracts into the dash, pretty cool) puts out 40x4. But i have preamp outs up the yang. (uses a box under the front seat for break outs and inputs for video/audio devices.

Can anyone help me figure this one out?

Mike

BTW: also looking for a way to bypass the parking brake/foot brake lock out of video display wile driving (dont wanna have to run all the wires to the brakes)

------------------
97 Black/Black Cobra Convertable
Compleatly Stock But not for long
redyj91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2001, 12:51 PM   #13
Silver2000GT
Registered Member

Thumbs up

In my stang I have added two 12' Rockford XLC's and two pioneer 4-way 6x9's with seperate custom boxes for both sets. The 12's are being pushed by a JBL 600watt power seris amp and my 6by9's by a 200watt pioneer amp. Everything else is stock, but boy does it ever sound good. I had gone to an audio installation center and they had said that adding to the Mach system was not a good idea cause they had done it before and it did not sound good. Man were they wrong after I did it myself I went back and let them see what I had done and how it sounded and they were surprised. I sure miss my trunk though but hey I can live without it.

In my T/A I have a JL Audio stealth box with a 10' JL Audio and a PPI amp pushing it with 300watts, with the mansoon system stock. Sounds nice also. Don't have a digital camera or else I would post pic's may be next time.

------------------
1999 Metallic Blue Pontiac Trans Am
MAF, K/N and Whisper Lid
2000 Silver Ford
Mustang GT
B&M ripper shifter

Silver2000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2001, 04:32 PM   #14
MACH460MUSTANG
Registered Member

I have a 2000 Mustang with the MACH 460 system (obviously by my name) and I attempted to add a Kenwwod amp and MTX 12" sub to the system. It didn't work. I even took it to a well-respected car audio place in town and they called all over and everybody said that you can't add any kind of in-line converter (need that for lack of RCA jacks on radio) or the whole stereo shuts down. Any info would be greatly appreciated, especially since I have already bought everything. It sounds good now but I would like that extra deep bass for certain music. HELP!!
MACH460MUSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 10:51 PM   #15
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

I just put my new system in. I've got a Kenwood Z919 deck, a kicker 460 4-channel amp running tweeters, 6" and 3 1/2s up front, and 6", 6x8's and tweeters in the rear. For bass, I've got 2 12" solobaric D's, running off a kicker zr600 amp, and 1farad cap. I'm gonna add the matching kenwood changer to the deck soon.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 11:29 PM   #16
wazee
Registered Member

Talking

To all those mach 460, yeah including me. Best bet... call crutchfield and get an adapter. I put in a pioneer cd player. got the harness adapter. works great 50 bucks. It is effortless. Use your mach amps to run stock speakers. This weekend UPS is bringing two Orion HCCA 12 inch subs. Boxes are allready built. Been running wires like crazy. AudioControl EQL, Orion HCCA 2100, Bass control knob. Watch out.
wazee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: