MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Audio, Security, & Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-16-2001, 10:21 AM   #1
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Thumbs up Fosgate amps.

I have always had a top quality booming sound system and I have always used rockford fosgate amps and woofers.

In my opinion Fosgate amps are the best for reliability but I have had less luck with fosgate sub-woofers (punch XLC's)I was running 3 12'XLC's and had to replace all three of them within a year. "busted them"

Right now all I have left from my 98'GMC truck is a 600watt Fosgate amp,A precision power (treble) amp, a top of the line kenwood excelon CD player and a pheonix Gold capacitor.

Soon I will be puting this stuff into my new 2000'GMC truck and I want to go in with two 12's.

Keeping in mind I have 600watts to push em what 12 inch woofers would you suggest.

They will be going in small enclosures and will go behind the seat with an amp rack in the middle.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 03:03 PM   #2
Power
Registered Member

Allright bro, here is the best thing I can perscribe for ya.

I'm not sure of your budget or if you go for looks as well as functionality, but if you use fosgate amps im guessing you are a "top of the line" type of guy. Listed below I'll outline a few subs that would work for you and give the pro's and con's of each. Then you can make up your mind. You are right about Fosgate subs being a level below their amps. I will disagree on fosgate amps being the best, I am partial to soundstream amps myself.

Cerwin-Vega HED-12SVC - Priced around $100-$125 it is probably the best "bang for your buck" type of sub. With a power range of 50-200 watts RMS and peak power at 400 watts this sub should be able to power smoothly from your 600 amp. Just make sure you tone down the power from the amp. It is quoted with a mounting of 5-1/4" and needing a 1.1 cubic feet sealed box.

Infinity Kappa-1201SE - This sub is one of my personal favorites. While a little more exspensive (around $230) I believe the improvement is noticable and well worth the extra $$. With a power range of 60-300 watts RMS this baby should thump pretty good from your amp. With a peak power of 1,200 watts the chances of you popping this one are pretty remote. I have personally seen the throw on the cone and they exceed manufacture specs by quite a bit. With a frequency response of 20-250 hz you won't even hear how low it goes. It has a quoted mounting depth of 5-3/4" and requires 1 cubic foot for sealed box. This sub is also designed for use with a ported box, which requires 1.75 cubic feet.

MTX Thunder8000 T8124 — The rise in quality products manufactured by MTX in the last 5 years has been phenomenal. I personally haven't ever worked or used these subs but I have heard they are extremely good. The power range of 50-400 watts RMS should still be ok for your current wattage. With a peak power of 1000 watts these are also pretty strong. The top-mount depth is 5-1/2", and it needs sealed box volume of 1.0 cubic feet.

Those are just a couple of good ones that would fit into your specs fairly easily. Below is a couple of the big daddies, where $$ is no issue and the top of the line is required.

MB Quart PWD 304 - This sub is straight up awesome. I have never installed with these but I have heard a couple of systems that use them. Mounting depth is 5.31" and and max power is 1000watts. However, with a rms power rating of 500 watts I would highly suggest getting another amp to push too of these. One other option is bridging your amp to 2 ohms since these subs are rated for 2 or 4 ohms. I'm not sure of the airspace required for these. A local shop might be able to help you out there. An all out awesome sub, definite competition quality.

JL Audio 12 W3 - Another one of my favorite subs, this one is great. Rms power is 250 watts with peak power being around 1000 watts (I think, I couldn't verify) and requires 1-1.5 cubic feet for a sealed box. This sub does in come in 2 ohm, 4 ohm, or 6 ohm configurations.

Hopefully this will help you out a little with your sub selection. Good luck and let me know what you did go with, even if it was something differnt. Kenwood makes good subs as well but I have had reliabality issues with them (subs only). And of course Pioneer always holds a special place in my heart (first system).

Power

[This message has been edited by Power (edited 06-16-2001).]
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2001, 02:35 AM   #3
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

I'll throw Image Dynamics Q series into the mix (IDQ's). Their new power rating I believe for the 12's is 350W RMS max, so 2 of these will mate to a 600W amp nicely. They are a very SQ oriented sub, but do not let that fool you - they are loud! A small sealed box in the neighborhood of 1.15 cu. ft. will work well with them. I have the older series (the new ones are known as V2's) and have had no problems with them other than a bit of hearing loss I believe their MSRP is $200.

------------------
1991 LX Hatch 5.0L
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 12:29 AM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I was thinking about the JL audio w-3's. But I love those infinities. Thanks for the replies.

------------------
88 mustang gt convertible bored to 306 BBk equal length headers mac cold air fender kit cowl hood nitto drag radials ford racing clutch flow masters h-pipe 160* thermostat 16 degrees of timing electric fan off 94' t-bird jacobs electronics cap and wires. Edelbrock 1 1/2 inch drop springs.
best 60 ft 2.14, best 1/8th 9.65, best 1/4 15.2 @89mph, Stock gears and 3000+ Altitude
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote