MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-02-2001, 01:58 PM   #1
Barts_65
Registered Member

Question AM radio installation

I am attempting to install an original 65 amm radio in a car that I purchased that had the original dash and wiring hacked out. I have had a new dash welded in place and have obtained a original replacement radio. The problem I have is that the original wiring harness was removed as well and I am not sure which wires are which. There are 4 wires coming out of the back of the radio, two that are a male and female plug together. One that is gray with a red stripe and one that is black. If there is someone out there that knows which are which that would be great. Thanks for the help.

------------------
Thanks and Happy Mustang Motoring.
Bart
Barts_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 03:29 PM   #2
PKRWUD

The two together are for the speaker. I think the gray/red wire is for the radio lamp, and the black wire is the power feed, but I'm not positive. I know that Ford used a light blue/red wire to supply voltage for the instrument lights, and other lights controlled in that circuit, for years and years, and that the power feed from the ignition switch was often black/dark green. If it's possible that your black wire is actually black/dark green, then I'm sure of my above suggestion.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 10:19 AM   #3
Barts_65
Registered Member

Update: I was able to clean the wiring and take a closer look at the exact color codes. Here is what I found. The two wire male female plug has one wire that is black with a green stripe and one wire that is solid black. There are two other single wires. One is light blue or light gray with a red stripe and the other single wire is solid black. Thanks again for the help.

------------------
Bart
Old 10-03-2001, 12:04 PM   #4
PKRWUD

The joind pair are the speaker, the black is the power feed, and the blue/red is the lamp. I am sure of it.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 01:44 PM   #5
Barts_65
Registered Member

Thanks for all the information. It was very helpfull.

------------------
Bart