MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Audio, Security, & Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-22-2004, 05:14 AM   #1
Draconis
Registered Member

Default Help replacing the "premium" sound ('85)

I've got an '85 Mercury Capri with the Ford Premium Sound. The previous owner of the car had previously replaced the stock unit with a DIN model, but put the stock unit back in when he sold it. Unfortunately for me, the genius spliced the wiring instead of buying an adapter harness when he replaced it. So I am faced with a mass of seemingly unidentifiable pink and green wires instead of plugs.

What I need to know is if anyone knows of anywhere that I can find a wiring diagram for the Premium sound that will show the color scheme and all of that for the factory installed amp and speakers (my Chilton's manual doesn't have one).

I'm putting in my own head unit that was in my previous car. I already tried simply bypassing the amp entirely by wiring the head unit directly to the speakers (all 4 are brand new), but I had no sound. Head unit had power and was recieving radio/playing CD's, but nothing out of the speakers. Head unit works, as I tested it after that in another vehicle.

This is stumping the hell out of me. After 2 consecutive days of frustration, I finally re-installed the stock unit so that I would at least have something, but now I have rear sound but no front. I feel like ripping the whole thing out and starting clean, but I don't have the time.

Also, if anyone knows of some good shops in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area that would be willing to troubleshoot and/or install the system for me at a fair price, it would be greatly appreciated.

I Love the car, but Ford has done some messed up things with their sound....
Draconis is offline   Reply With Quote