MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Audio, Security, & Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-09-2002, 07:24 PM   #1
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

Default I need help...

I have an 88 GT Hatchback. I used to have a weak system in my car, but it was stolen. The system was put in by the previous owner, and it sounded alright, but with my flowmasters, I need something better than I had. I had two 12" speakers in a ported box with a 400w amp. I don't even remember the brand names, it's been awile. My head unit (I still have it) is a Kenwood and has 45w X 4 (I think ) I need to redo the whole stereo system. Any suggestions? I'll have about $500 to $600 to spend.

I also wanted to know if someone has any ideas on a box I could build to fit some 12's in for my hatchback. I can get dimensions if anyone needs them. Thanks in advance, Keith

Rice Hater's Club Member 22
Kamaro Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 07:37 PM   #2
Shelby428cj
Registered Member

Heya Kamaro since you are spending 500-600 bucks I would go with one good 12" sub and a good 400-500watt amp RMS. You will need to put this sub in a large ported box and it will be real loud!!!! Average size for one 12" sub is 2 1/4 cubic feet. Also make sure to build the port out of wood rather than a whistle port . Brands I would recommend Kicker, Orion, MTX and JL. Amps the same as the sub brands.

Hope this helps and keep us posted how that stereo is going!!! Do you have an alarm??? Sounds like maybe you should get one to if you install this system!!!

See Ya,
Karen
1969 Mustang (Project Rice Eater)
1999 Silver Mustang Saleen S281 (SQ car for stereo contests)
SQ Goddess
My Stereo Bro "tireburner163"

Last edited by Shelby428cj; 09-09-2002 at 07:43 PM..
Shelby428cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 07:46 PM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

$600.00 I would get a 150 shot of Nitrous .............Or I guess you could do what Shelby said

Yeah I know, Im bored
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 07:48 PM   #4
Shelby428cj
Registered Member

LOL@DARK dang it your not suppose to be chasing people away!!!!

See Ya,
Karen
1969 Mustang (Project Rice Eater)
1999 Silver Mustang Saleen S281 (SQ car for stereo contests)
SQ Goddess
My Stereo Bro "tireburner163"
Shelby428cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 07:51 PM   #5
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

Default Yeah I have an alarm

This is kinda long so bear with me While rebuilding my car I had to leave it unlocked a few times. I deceided to pull most of my stereo stuff so it didn't get stolen (my 10 disc, 2 12" subs, door speakers, and amps) Well my younger brother had some stupid addicts over to my Dad's house and they sold all my stereo stuff for drugs I was soooo pissed (still am)! The thing that sucks is, now that I have rebuilt the engine, I basically have to rebuild my stereo system. I probably won't even have money for this system until mid Oct-Nov, but I just want to get ideas now, so I know what I'm looking at.

The previous owner actually only had 1 12" sub in the hatchback, and it sounded good, but wasn't enough bass for me. When the bass would go from one speaker to the other, I would only hear the bass hit once, instead of going back and forth. I wanted the bass to hit when it went from the left speaker to the right. If anyone has anymore ideas let me know. Sorry for the long post, I had to vent Keith

Rice Hater's Club Member 22
Kamaro Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 08:49 PM   #6
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Two Adire Audio Shiva 12's, $125 each. I rather unknown brand but very good for the money. www.adireaudio.com Or you could run two Kicker Comp VR 12's

For a amp I would suggest a JBL bp600x1. You can pick one up for $188 from Scala1 on E-Bay.(bought a lot of my stuff from him)

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote