MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Audio, Security, & Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-16-2005, 07:53 AM   #1
pduckor
Registered Member

Angry Keyless Entry Dead

Keyless Entry Keyless EntryKeyless Entry

For my 1999 Mustang Coupe V-6 manufactured in January 1999, by mistake, I hit the panic button on my fob and my horn went off. My fob and back-up fob would not disengage the beeping. In order to disable the noise, I removed and replaced the positive battery cable. It worked and the beeping stopped; however, now the keyless system is dead. All manual systems are ok to include remote trunk button and both door locking actuators.

Thank-you.

Last edited by pduckor; 07-29-2005 at 09:35 AM..
pduckor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 01:59 AM   #2
Meotchh
Registered Member

Default Re: Keyless Entry Dead

What year & model car?
Meotchh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 05:44 AM   #3
pduckor
Registered Member

1999 V-6 Coupe manufactured in January 1999. Thanks.
pduckor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 11:49 PM   #4
sin4me
Registered Member

my gf's 99 mustang is having similar problems with the keyless entry remote. all the info i found said that in order to program it you cycle the ignition 8 times and then press button 1. i have done that proceedure several times, but doesn't work. tried replacing the batteries in the remote and still no dice. anyone else have some suggestions? thanks.
sin4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 02:25 PM   #5
Meotchh
Registered Member

http://www.keylessremotesforless.com...rogramming.htm

Meotchh
Old 08-30-2005, 09:51 PM   #6
sin4me
Registered Member

thx for the link, but i really don't wanna pay $7 if it's gonna tell me the same info that i am trying...anyone else have some ideas?
Old 08-30-2005, 11:08 PM   #7
Meotchh
Registered Member

Well that $7 also gets you support if there is a problem. It is roughly $100.00 for the dealer to program it.
I can not vouche for this but I was told,
"turn on the key and short the programming plug to get into programing.the plug is gray, has only two wires on it and is behind the glove box or in the trunk.once the key is on and the plug is shorted the door locks cycle."

Meotchh
Old 08-31-2005, 05:10 PM   #8
sin4me
Registered Member

I actually came across some info online that helped me reprogram it. Here is an excerpt that may help people in the future:

" The first case is a situation I experienced with a Mustang Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) system. Earlier Ford RKE systems had a stand-alone module, but on the '99 Mustang, it had migrated to the innards of the Generic Electronic Module (GEM) module.

The transmitter fob on your keychain sends a radio signal to the GEM, which either locks or unlocks the doors and honks the horn if you so desire, while at the same time operating the door locks and activating the illuminated entry system. On this vehicle, the RKE system was totally inoperative. In many cases, simply reprogramming the GEM to recognize the signal from the fob takes care of the problem. On the Mustang, cycling the key eight times puts the GEM in programming mode; the locks cycle to indicate it has entered the mode. When any button on the transmitter is pressed, the GEM cycles the locks in response to indicate that it has recognized and recorded the frequency of that particular fob. When the key is switched off, the locks cycle again, terminating the programming session. As many as four fobs can be programmed in a session.

This Mustang entered programming mode and cycled the locks for me, but when I tried the transmitter after exiting the programming session, it still wouldn't work. To make a long story short, a "Special Service Message" search and a subsequent call to the hotline revealed that I needed to go beyond regular service procedures. On early 1999 Mustangs, the hotline guy indicated, fuse 38 must be removed for a few seconds. Reinstalling the fuse would bring the GEM's RKE function back on line. It did."
Old 08-31-2005, 05:12 PM   #9
sin4me
Registered Member

Please note, the original author of this article says Fuse 38, which on my gf's 99 mustang is a 20amp fuse for the high beams. Fuse 39 is a 5amp fuse for GEM according to the owners manual. I removed Fuse 39 for about a minute, inserted it and was able to reprogram it with no problems. Hope this helps!