MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-24-2003, 01:00 PM   #1
going broke
Registered Member

Default DEMON IN CAR! Engine misfire 4.6 2000 GT

just bought a 2000 GT, need some help figuring out what is causing misfire on #1. Here is what we know about the car:
one owner before us, bought new, put supercharger on at 6,000 miles, kicked butt, ran up to about 40,000 miles, was going 120 on freeway slowed down into a stop sign, took off and has missed ever since. Took to Lone Star Performance in TX and they along with top 3 ford mechanics in TX worked on it for 6 months, switched and replaced everything except any wiring. motor has been gone through 3 times, we spoke with them and they claim it is nothing mechanical, has a demon in it. Our scanner comes up with engine misfire on #1, check engine light will come on, runs ok on bottom end, up over 3000rpm it starts cutting out and falling on its face, feels like the traction control is on but it does it no matter how you have the button, scanner also says its on even when we push the button to off, could this be faulty? Car shakes badly at higher rpm as well. The supercharger has been off since this started a year ago, we have 48000 miles on it, from what I have read on here crank sensors are #1 cause of misfires, we are trying that next, how would we tell if it has an aftermarket timing adjuster? Since it had a supercharger at one time would this be something that would have been added to the car that could be faulty? What is the correct timing for a stock 4.6 sohc? We plan on buying the supercharger from the previous owner and putting it back on the car when we get the misfire figured out. Any suggestion out there on what we should be trying? Thanks much
going broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 03:09 PM   #2
gip99gt
Registered Member

Stock timing is at 10. Sorry to hear about the trouble. The guy that works on my car knows a lot about S/C cars, He has a website S-E-Racing.com (Ron Short)
Flowmaster Mufflers * MAC O/R H *Steeda Pulleys * Steeda Timing Adjuster * Dallas Mustang Speed Cal * Dallas Mustang MIL's * FRPP 4.10 Gears * FRPP 70mm Throttle Body * Ford C Springs * Pro-M 80 mm w/filter * S-E-Racing Intake Spacer * Nitto DR's (Street) * BFG DR's (Track)
gip99gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 04:16 PM   #3
ajcolv
Registered Member

The only things that I can think of may be the plug, COP, fuel injector. It could be problem with the computer. Maybe when they pulled the S/C and the chip it messed something up.
ajcolv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 05:22 PM   #4
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

sounds like a ecu problem to me bring it to the dealer and have him reflash with the factory code this might work.
Rice Haters Club Member #55
For My car Specs Click the Home page link
http://www.badassyellowgt.50g.com/
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 08:19 PM   #5
going broke
Registered Member

the car started acting wierd with the supercharger on it, they pulled it and left it off til they could get this figured out and never did, went through all of the plugs, wires, injectors, o2 sensors, everything. Has compression of 175 in each hole, motor has been apart and nothing broke inside. Fuel pump, filter, and computer all changed and reset. any more ideas? Thanks
Old 06-26-2003, 01:29 AM   #6
going broke
Registered Member

oops, 125 lbs on compression test not 175!!! changed a few more things, crank sensor, cam sensor, all injectors again, all the coils, plugs, fuel pressure test 35 lbs at idle, goes up to about 75 when reved up, changed all 4 sensors, wired around the harness to number 1 cylinder for the injector and the coil, retorqued the crank shaft pulley, nothing changed car still runs the same as before. Any other hints or ideas? Any thoughts would b much appreciated!!!!
Old 06-26-2003, 11:05 AM   #7
ajcolv
Registered Member

Damn, it sounds like you pretty much covered everything that I can see. I'm stumped. Sorry.
ajcolv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 12:31 PM   #8
going broke
Registered Member

next we are trying the trigger gear inside and are changing the puuley to underdrive, think this will help? ugh!!!!
Old 06-26-2003, 10:21 PM   #9
going broke
Registered Member

Default Trigger Wheel Question!!!!

On a crank shaft how tight should the trigger wheel fit? Should there be any slcak back and forth around the key? If so, mine has slack, the trigger wheel was rubbing on the timing case but no signs of wear on the wheel itself, does this sound normal? would it be enough to make the car out of time or misfire? Thanks for feddback!!!
Old 06-26-2003, 10:35 PM   #10
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

did you not see my post this has happened before and the reflash fixed the problem the fuel map was all messed up.from custom flash they had done
Rice Haters Club Member #55
For My car Specs Click the Home page link
http://www.badassyellowgt.50g.com/
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 08:52 AM   #11
going broke
Registered Member

it has had 2 new computers in this car and never fixed it they would have been refreshed form the factory thanks for the reply
Old 06-28-2003, 01:08 PM   #12
going broke
Registered Member

Default found the proublem

well it all started with a little anger and the proublem came out. I put the new triger in and of as suspected it didn't help so I thought well I had about all I could take of this car so I held it to the floor for about a minute and the cats started on fire so off they came and man now it runs like it should all that money and time wasted on this car and it was that simple. well thanks for all the info if you happen to have a proublem like this one you might try this O and it didn't turn on the check engine light yet so the converters might stay off for awile. thanks