View Single Post
Old 01-16-2001, 09:32 PM   #3
84_GT350
Registered Member

I'll pick up where kvpony left off. Shelbys aren't too important unless you want an older (like a GT350, interestingly enough the first Mustangs equipped with centrifugal Paxton blowers...from the factory!) Stang BUT there were a few Fox bodied ('79-'93) Mustangs modified by Shelby of America for SCCA class racing that ran about 290hp and were white with blue racing stripes (they look sweet as hell). No more than 100 though, if even that many. You can find them in Hemmings sometimes but they cost a pretty penny. Shelby made the original AC Cobras, GT350s, and GT500s until about '70 or '71. Ford used the GT350 logo in 1984 to build a 20th anniversary car (like mine) and got sued by Shelby. Anyhow, moving on...Saleens are quite possibly some of the most hard @ss Fox bodied Mustangs built. Saleens are fast, but their real talent is handling, especially the SSCs (they even have shocks thatare adjustable from the driver's seat via a little knob). The only Cobra I'd ever consider is a '93 and up (my apologies to those who have a late 70's model like a '79....I just can't stand 'em). They look better and generally run a little harder than your run of the mill Stang thanks to better heads, intakes, and cams. There are also Cobra Rs made in seriously limited numbers in '93, '95, and '00. Don't expect to see one under $40,000 though. Other names to remember are Steeda (they're right up there with Saleen...they just never caught on so much), Predators which were made in VERY limited numbers in the middle of nowhere Kansas in the late '80s, and SVOs...just Turbo 4s with WAY better suspensions made between '84 and '86. Did I leave anything out?

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote