MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Audio, Security, & Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-14-2003, 04:49 PM   #1
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Default Need help on audio system install.

I went to circuit city,and asked them how much it would cost me to let them install my system in the mustang,i got a head unit,2 amps,4 speakers,and 2 subs,i also got all the neceserry cables,so i asked them and they said i had to bypass the mach460 system,or whatever,and the totall came to $527 that's pathetic,i of course left,so i'm thinking all i gotta do is put my system in the car,it won't have anything to do with the mach 460,i'll take that out completely,that should work shouldn't it?Also does anyone have any diagrams as to how to take the stock speakers head unit and such out?

Thank you for any help.
Jaegermeister2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 11:16 PM   #2
my9250GT

if its a stock radio there are two small holes on both sides of the radio. there is a special tool that is shaped like a "u" that fits into the holes and pushes the little brackets that hold the radio in out of the way and the radio will slide right out.
as for the speakers the door panels must be removed and the speakers are screwed in...and yes just buy the adapter for your year car and hook up only the power wires and run new speaker wires to the speakers this way you dont cut anything in case you sell the car in the future..
1992 Mustang GT, BBK equal length headers, Bassani X-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, 3:73's, MAC cold air induction, Fluidyne aluminum radiator, Black Magic electric fan, 180*T-stat, Hurst shifter, Edelbrock 70mm TB & EGR, Eibach Drag springs w/ air bag, Edelbrock shocks, Tokico struts, MM adjustable LCA's, MM C/C plates, Not yet installed: Trick Flow engine kit (heads, cam, intakes..etc Pro-M 75mm MAF w/ 30lbs injectors, complete 5-lug 4 wheel disk brakes off a 94 Cobra and a Granetelli K-member w/ tubular A-arms)

SOCALHORSEPOWER MEMBER

my9250GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 11:23 AM   #3
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Just rip the whole Mach 460 system out and preferably smash it with a bat. It's not hard installing a system. Running wires is the biggest PITA.

Installing speakers are easy, and a HU install is pretty straight forward. If you've never done it before I'd just take it to a sterio shop and get them to run the wire and install the amps. Installing subs is super easy, just put the box in the trunk. You'll need to get someone who knows what they're doing to set the gains on your amp for you.

There are 2 little holes on each side of the head unit. You need a set of "keys" for this. You CAN buy some, but it's just as easy to cut up a coat hanger and fashion them into two "U"'s. insert the "keys" into the hole until you hear it click, that should be the HU unlocking. Then just slid it out, unhook the antenna, and the harness. Boom, your HU is out. Go to Wal-Mart or a sterio shop and get a install harness, slice the harness into your new radio's harness, then plug the harness into the stock one. Peice of cake, then just slid the new HU in.

Speakers are easyiest. Just take the speaker grill (or in some cases, like my fox body) take the whole door pannel off. Unscrew the stock speakers and then cut the wire. Splice the new speakers in and then screw them in. Super easy.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

P.S. #1 rule, CC sucks *** for everything car audio.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 02:52 PM   #4
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Thanks for the help guys,yeah the wiring might be a problem,but i should be able to get it working.So i have to take the whole door panel off eh?Just like in my previous car,i hate doing that buy there's no way around it.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:37 PM   #5
hobgoblin351
Registered Member

Hey cant you just splice into or buy an adapter that'll let you use the wires that are in the car already
Scrw in studs/comp cams rllr rkr
Mldn valves 2.19in 1.71ex
ported polished cc'd hrdnd ex
Keith Black FT pistons(10.25/1)
Weiand Excellorator manifold
Holley700 DP mech 2nds
MSD 6 box and Dis
Headers/2 1/2 inch duels
tr: modified FMX
re:9-inch/3.89 limited slip
hobgoblin351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 05:24 PM   #6
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

That's what i did in my last car,The power wire is the one that might be alittle hard.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:25 PM   #7
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Quote:
Originally posted by hobgoblin351
Hey cant you just splice into or buy an adapter that'll let you use the wires that are in the car already
Yea, that works on most cars. But not on the Mach 460 system. There are adaptors that allow to add a aftermarket HU, but they're like $50 bucks.

Also, the harness would be useless since he's gonna replace the amps anyway.

The Mach 460 system sucks a nut, IMO

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: