MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-20-2001, 04:25 PM   #1
429AL
Registered Member

Post AOD

WAS LOOKING TO BUY THIS 89 GT W/AOD, WHAT 1st GEAR WOULD IT HAVE. AND WHAT YEAR TRANNY IS AN EASY SWAP, I HEAR THE 93 OR 94 IS A BETTER TRANNY. ANY HELP, THANKS
429AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 04:28 PM   #2
Lexicon
Registered Member

I have heard of alloy changes being used on the third gear in 94 and up boxes(possible others), but would not testify to it. Are you wishing to swap in a T-5 or better or do you prefer to do the AOD thing?
Lexicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 06:56 PM   #3
Nic92LXConv50
Registered Member

The AODE (94-95) is a bit stronger, but it's also electronic, so you'd have to spend some extra money on a TCM such as the baumanator. That AOD can be built to handle whatever you can throw at it. Look into Performance Automatic for some beefier internals for it. It has a 2.40 first gear. From personal experience, I'd stay away from lentech.

------------------
1989 LX 5.0 Coupe
1992 LX 5.0 Convertible

Moderator SN95.com, Stangtec.com
Nic92LXConv50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 01:19 AM   #4
Capri306

Nic92LXConv50: why do you say stay away from Lentech??? They're the same guys building transmissions for the Pro 5.0 cars, plus I plan on getting their Street Terminator Lockup valve body (which I've heard nothing but good about). Just curious.

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 06:28 AM   #5
Jeff Chambers

I'd have to second that question; why stay away from Lentech? If you were dissatisfied with some portion of their product, I'd bet the Len would bend over backwards to try and make it right. I've got the Lentech Pure Street Terminator Lockup, and its been ABSOLUTELY THE BEST INVESTEMENT I'VE EVERY MADE IN MY MUSTANG. Their AOD's are absolutely killer; same's true of their valvebodies and other AOD components. I've found their staff to be second-to-none in helping me get my T5-to-AOD changeover made and they've been excellent in supporting me this season as we've gotten used to the AOD.
I trust their entire staff implicitly and I know for a fact that customer satisfaction is the highest priority for Len.

Just my $0.02.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.611 Seconds / 116.98 MPH
Chambers Racing Team
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 06:48 AM   #6
Nic92LXConv50
Registered Member

I wish I could say I had the same customer service experiences as the rest of you. When I got my valve body from them last year it never performed right. It would never shift at the proper rpm and half the time it didn't want to shift automatically. I'll give them as much as it made a good manual valve body. I took it to the track and let it shift itself and couldn't manage anything within .2 of my previous averages with my stock valve body. This was in better air as well. I followed their directions meticulously and double and triple checked myself during the installation and even dropped the trans pan and checked over again. I called Lentech and they insisted that it must be a result of improper installation because they dyno test all their valve bodies before they ship them. I bought it through the group purchase off the Corral and am willing to bet that it was hastily thrown together and shipped off without any testing at all. From this experience I'll never buy another Lentech product, nor will I ever recommend anyone else buy one either.

------------------
1989 LX 5.0 Coupe
1992 LX 5.0 Convertible

Moderator SN95.com, Stangtec.com
Nic92LXConv50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 03:43 PM   #7
Fostang
Registered Member

That kinda sounds like a vacuum problem to tell you the truth.

------------------
67'fastback-Edelbrock carb,intake,cam,valve springs.Rhode lifters, CompCam rocker arms, windage tray,cerama coated headers,dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4,tci stall converter,perma cool electric fan,aluminum water pump,griffen aluminum radiator,accel 8.8 cable,wide cap distriburator,magnetic pick up,v-matic hurst shifter,edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump,ignitor coil,solid motor mounts,magna racing suspension,poly urathane bushings,under rider traction bars, comp. eng. s
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2001, 12:47 AM   #8
Capri306

Sorry to burst your bubble Fostang, but AOD's don't have vacuum modulators. They strictly rely on throttle angle, input speed (debatable), and governor pressure.

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2001, 11:30 PM   #9
IBStanged87
Registered Member

Well I will throw in my 2 cents worth on this subject I have a Lentech 10" Converter and Strip Terminator with Brake (Non Lockup). I have a Stock 302 with 150shot NOS and 4.10 gears and run 12.0's with 1.59 60'.
Lentech is the Best in my opinion!!!! And HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!! Len has answered every question I have ever asked him and has been a BIG HELP!!
IBStanged87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2001, 12:19 AM   #10
NOS_Notch
Registered Member

AOD spells boat anchor.
My '90 Gt had one.
They are about $1800 a pop to rebuild every year.
Every one who owns one will never see the 11's unless they never drive their car or won the lottery.
1st gear is 2.40 compared 3.35 T5
2nd gear is 1.70???
3rd is 1:1
OD which won't shift under WOT is .067
If you need an auto go C4.
Unless of course you enjoy rebuilding your tranny....go w/ the AOD.

------------------
4.10's,long tubes & 75 shot...Goes 12.50's
Check it out at http://www.burnouts.stangnet.com

11's coming soon!!!!
Heads,intake and cam are all here
NOS_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2001, 08:08 PM   #11
429AL
Registered Member

Smile

THANKS TO YOU ALL FOR THE INPUT.
429AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 07:19 AM   #12
Jeff Chambers

That's old school thinking NOS. The technology know-how is there to make the AOD a bitc$in' piece nowadays. Between people like Lentech, Art Carr, Level 10 and others, there are AODs and AODEs out there performing fantastically in both street and race applications. They may be a little pricey on first glance, but just like any other part of your car, if you want performance and durability it costs more. Go get a Mighty Mite C4 and tell me what you'll spend for the entire setup. Probably the same as a Lentech (with converter). As far as never seeing 11's, I credit my Lentech with not only PUTTING me in the 11's, but also KEEPING me deep into the 11's.

When you compare your ratios, you've also got to consider the torque multiplication that you get with the converter. On my 11.46 run this past weekend, the car went an all-time best of 1.555 in the short which is better than it ever did with the T5, and is darn comparable to the stick guys I'm racing against. O/D's not meant to be used on the track either, its a street gear meant for driveability and economy. Even a Lentech unit is limited in the HP/TQ that OD will carry. My O/D is still funtional in my Lentech but I don't use it going downtrack...lockup's another deal altogether though.

My vote goes AOD.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.462 Seconds / 117.43 MPH
Chambers Racing Team
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 11:22 AM   #13
Mach 1
Registered Member

I agree. AODs arent the fastest setup with minor engine mods, but can be and are great when modified properly. I beat the crap out of my GER AOD and it hasnt failed me once. And I smoke 5 speed cars regulary.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT

[This message has been edited by Mach 1 (edited 06-26-2001).]
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 11:57 PM   #14
macx
Registered Member

In the June issue of Muscle Mustangs
& Fast Fords there's a decent article on
Level 10 & their buildup of an AOD/E. www.levelten.com

Also, check www.baumannengineering.com