MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Audio, Security, & Electronics (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Mach 460 lacking decent bass (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=45449)

blesk 02-24-2005 03:31 AM

Mach 460 lacking decent bass

I recently bought a 2002 GT with the Mach 460 sound system and the bass seems to be very sub-par. I've never needed to mess with the audio system in any vehicle I owned, and could use a lot of suggestions:

Is it pretty easy to add a subwoofer to the system?

I'd like to keep the stock look of the car and would prefer to not take up any more ot the already limited trunk space that the convertible model has. Is there a convenient place out of sight where I could place the subwoofer (and additional amp, if necessary?

What specific parts would you recommend? I'm trying not to spend too much money on it. Just need some halfway decent bass, nothing extreme.

tireburner163 03-07-2005 10:38 PM

Re: Mach 460 lacking decent bass

You shoudl be able to purcase as small wedge type pre-fabbed box from a local audio shop. You can put it on either side of the trunk facing towards the middle. This should still leave you a good amount of room to put other stuff in your trunk.

If you have a factory head unit you'll need line level converter ($8-10 bucks). It splices into your speaker signal wire and reduces the voltage down to a level that the amp and use.

I would suggest a single QUALITY 10" sub-woofer and a QUALITY amp with around 300 rms watts. That should provide you with the extra bass your looking for.

ricechefmerkl 04-16-2005 08:09 PM

If you are lacking space you best bet for a sub would be a kicker 8 inch solobaric the box volume is under a cubic foot , also when looking to buy audio equipment look on ebay you can get quality parts for arounf half of what your local sound store will charge you . But remeber to stay with the name brand stuff , don`t bother with the cheaper copies it will cost you in quality and dualibility. On ebay a store call AUDIOSAVINGS ELECTRONICS SUPERSTORE i have dealt with and have nothing but praise for them amazing service etc. Just remeber when lookin to stay with name brand like kicker, kenwood, pioneer and so on if the brand has a good company site most likely its worth gettin , ebay is the only way to go for car audio stuff , For a 8 inch solobaric and a kenwood 800 watt amp it only end up costing my brother around $ 350 and the sub is worth more than that alone and will pound with my 12 inch kicker comp vr , Hope it helps , if ya need anything more just ask , i am rather big on car audio might be able to help point some stuff out

Fat0eknee 04-16-2005 11:44 PM

are there rca cable preouts on the factory head unit (6 cd changer)?

blesk 04-18-2005 11:39 PM

Thank you everyone for suggestions. Turns out the problem was that the person who owned this car before me had a 3rd party audio system, and when they put the original back in they didn't bother to remake the original connectors, so only the tweeters were pumping out sound. I had the Ford dealer fix it under warranty, and since then have been very happy with the Mach 460 sound ..... that is after I got over feeling like a bit of a dumba$$. :)

Orange97GTVert 04-19-2005 10:08 PM

I bet that did have crappy bass.

stangowango 03-11-2008 05:27 PM

i gotta question.. i got a 2002 v6 coupe and i also have a boxed mtx 12" and a sony xplod 760w amp. are both of these good?

also, can anyone who personally spliced their factory wires and connected their line level converter tell me where and how they got the information and instructions on how to do it???

i would love to put my amp and subwoofer in my stang but i'm afraid i don't have the most detailed and exact information on how to do it.

can anyone help??