MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-23-2001, 06:00 PM   #1
Gautam
Registered Member

Post Why is it called Stock Car?

Hi,
While there's all the buzz about Earnhardt Sr.'s death, I've got a question:

NASCAR = National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing. How can these cars be called Stock Cars if these cars are hardly stock. Does the word Stock Car in the abbreviation represent something else? And I'm just guessing, but they say these cars are Monte Carlos, Grand Prix, Taurus, when they hardly contain anything from those cars. I don't get it.

Bye!

------------------
Gautam N. Lad
http://www.cubicdesign.com
http://www.cubicdesign.com/mustang/
Gautam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 06:06 PM   #2
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

I believe the deal with these cars is that the components, like the engine, originally (a long time ago) had to be in a certain number of factory produced cars. I'm not sure about this, but I think that is why the BOSS 429 mustang was produced. So that Ford could use the 429 motor in nascar a while back. Not sure, just what I've heard.

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma

1988 Merc Cougar 5.0 HO, P&Ped heads, 2.25" custom mandrel bent dual pipes, T5 five speed tranny
15.43 @ 91.08mph (not shabby for a 3600 pound car)
60' 2.453 Street tires suck!!!

QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 07:42 PM   #3
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Stock car racing originally came out the moon shine runners cars. They looked stock.

Its developed, but originally the cars were stock based. Boss 429 for example. They even used to have a convertable class. But over the years it has developed into what it is now.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2001, 02:27 PM   #4
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Yep; way, way back in the early 1950's they (NASCAR) were running regular, production-bodied cars like Olds 88's with 303 cu. in. V-8 engines and even Hudson Hornets and V-8 Caddys, believe it or not.
That didn't last long as reliability was a problem and little by little, the cars were less and less stock and more and more race cars. By the early '60's, they were just about all race car, although they still used factory parts in many cases.
Even now, the term 'stock car' refers to a car that at least resembles a factory production vehicle, although everyone knows it's not anything remotely close to a factory car, any more than that trailered, 7-second twin turbocharged bored and stroked 351 Mustang at the drag strip resembles a 'factory' Mustang. It's just a symbol for the fans to root for, be it Chevy, Ford or whatever. Works for me.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote