MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Audio, Security, & Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-21-2003, 09:29 PM   #1
toplestang
Registered Member

Default Fuel Cut-off switch

Hello all :

I'm planning on installing a 2 position on/off switch some where in my LX hidden. I would like this switch to power off the fuel pump. Just for extra protection I'll flip the switch and power to the pump is shutoff. I need help finding which wire to splice into from the harness found between the fuel pump relay (under drivers seat) and the inertia switch located in the trunk behind the taillight. Ive been told I'll need to use a relay Why ? whats the relay used for and whats its purpose. I have a high quality (marine) 25 amp 12 v.d.c switch. will this do ? please I need some help alarm installers etc... My lx is an 89 vert 5.0

Thanx!
Ralph
toplestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 10:34 PM   #2
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

You need to use a relay because the amp load is too much for most switchs, but with the 25amp fuse you have I THINK you be ok.

All you need to do is splice that switch into the "hot" wire in the fuel pump relay. The wire you want to splice the switch into is Red w/ a Black tracer, and connects your fuel pump relay (under the drivers seat) to the inertia switch.

-Josh, aka the tireburner

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 10:16 AM   #3
toplestang
Registered Member

Default ok..

Senior Tireburner:

Thanx for your reply. The switch is rated at 25 amp I guess that means that it can handle that much amperage running to it ? Also to be on the safe side. How do I check the amount of current flowing through that power wire? Can I: Dig the red connecter from a meter into the power wire (RED/BLACK TRACER ) then ground the black connector. and turn the key to power up the pump. Check for amperage. If Its over 25 amps find a sufficient switch or use a relay. Does this about right? Also what setting do i use on the meter ? Ive never used one before.

Just want to get this right.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:48 AM   #4
tireburner163

that would work.

but now that I think about it, you shouldn't really need a relay, because if I remember correctly it just sends a signal to the fuel pump to turn on. ie, low amp draw.

You could always fuse it if you're worried.

-Josh, aka the tireburner

1998 HD Electra Elide
Old 09-22-2003, 03:24 PM   #5
toplestang
Registered Member

Default I'll b trying this soon

Thanx for all your help and I'll let you know if it works.

Ralph
Old 09-24-2003, 10:31 PM   #6
tireburner163

Hey, that's a nice car (in your avatar). I think I saw it on corral.

Where did you get those 4-lug 03 Cobra rims from? and how much did the cost? Got any pics of them?

-Josh

1998 HD Electra Elide
Old 09-25-2003, 12:33 AM   #7
toplestang
Registered Member

Default The wheels

Josh :

I lately gotten tired of some of the people in the corral. You place a message asking for help and you get B.S answer from people who shouldn't be allowed to own a mustang in the first place, or theyll jump off topic etc... I was one of the first to join the Mustangworks back in the day and have decided to try it again it feels more humble here I picked up the wheels at tires.com I believe it was under $600. for all at my door. They are nice but the offset is terrible they hang slightly out of the front fender and the rears I needed 1/2 inch spacers to get them to the edge of the fender luckily I already had 3 inch studs in the rear. They would be real sweet if they would make them in 17x8 instead of 17x9. I'll be swapping to 5 lug soon and they will be history. I'll toss another pic in a minute.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:36 AM   #8
toplestang
Registered Member

Default here you go..

hope it works.

Old 09-25-2003, 03:29 PM   #9
tireburner163

hummm......maybe I'll just save up for the 5-lug 03 Cobra rims. I dont' want my off-set off messed up

-Josh

1998 HD Electra Elide