MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Audio, Security, & Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-11-2002, 12:14 AM   #1
gtsr515
Registered Member

Default Radio cuts out

I have an 89 Sable with a standard radio, no cassette, etc. when i bought it a year ago the radio worked great, now it will only work once in a great while, and when it does, if i play it with very little volume it will play for quite awhile, but if i crank up the volume, not blasting, but "up", it will play for about 1-5 minutes and cut out, never to be heard from again for days and days, i'm guessing the "amp' is wasted? but i am a stereo idiot, whats up with this thing?

Typical FORD radio?
Old 06-11-2002, 10:14 PM   #2
Torinalth
Registered Member

ford, linc, merc radios usually hold up really well. and if the amp is shot then you would get no sound, not here and there.... also, I didnt think they had amps in them back then..... I'd replace the radio with an aftermarket one and the run the radio to the speakers directly. you can get a dash kit to make it look nice since, if my memory serves me correctly, the cutout is really different than standard equipment. let me know if you need anything further.

Torinalth