MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-30-2001, 05:07 PM   #1
LovinMy66
Registered Member

Question 1966 Radio Install

I have an aftermarket radio that fits into the factory radio slot (god forbid anybody hack that up!). Anyway, I've heard the best way to do this is to hook the power wire up to the break lights wire. The reason for this is so the radio always has power (memorized station presets always preset.) here are some questions i need help with.

1) There is an Orange Wire all by itself and the tag reads "+12v for automatic ariel. 500m?? Max" ?? = faded off - What is this wire for?

2) Theres a 2 piece circle connector with 5 wires on it (Green, Black, Black, Red, Grey) What are these wires?

3) The radio has 2 RCA outputs.. Is it possible to hookup an AMP to this?

Thankyou so very much for any information. All this info would have cost me $45 from Circuit City!
Old 12-31-2001, 09:49 AM   #2
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

The only thing I can help u with right now is the RCA outputs. As long as they are not preamped, u can amp them.

All of these wires u are talking about, are they on the car, or on the radio?

If the orange wire is on the radio, it is most likely for the dimer for the radio. If u hook this up to your headlights, the radio will dim the lights on it.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 10:12 PM   #3
pntrbil
Registered Member

I can help you with the orange wire marked "ariel." That's for a power antennae. That way the antennae is only up when the radio is on.

You don't specifically need to use the brake light circuit for the hot either. Just poke around the fuse box until you find something that's still hot when the key's off. That'll work.

The circle connector ... just guessing, but it's good bet the red is power. Gray and green are left and right, or vice versa! One black must be ground and I can only guess the other black may be for a separate speaker return line.

I don't even know what the RCA thing is and I've never used an amp so I'm no help there!

The other is what I remember from installing stereo's on the weekends years ago. Hope it helps.
pntrbil is offline   Reply With Quote