MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Audio, Security, & Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-16-2002, 08:39 AM   #1
surfbeast
Registered Member

Default Replacement stereo ?

What would be a good replacement system for the Mach 460 sound system> I don't need more power, speakers, amps etc.. Just a good replacement for the stock stereo. My stereo buttons are losing there color and would like to have a newer radio receiver. Also, what about the CD player part? Since the CD is seperate in stock form is there a setup with an aftermarket CD system ( up top ) and an equalizer ( below ) that would hook up to the stock wiring, speakers, amps, withpout much hassle. Any suggestions on system, place to buy would be much apprecitated! also, price should be 200 to 400 bucks.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2002, 05:21 PM   #2
The Deuce
Registered Member

I put a Blaupunkt Sydney in my 97, and it looks close enough to stock to not get a second look. Kind of a sleeper stereo, but I also put a 10 disc in the trunk.

As far as wiring any new stereo in, don't cut your factory plug off. I got a pigtail from a local stereo shop and made my own "smart harness" out of that and the pigtail that came with my head unit.

Most of the common replacement stereos will have adapeters you can buy that will plug straight from a head unit to the stock wires.

I've never seen an eq that would be the size you are looking for, seems kind of big. If you are looking for a cd deck, just about everyone makes one that plays mp3 cds as well as normal ones.

Its just a matter of finding something you like.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 11:52 PM   #3
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

I like my JVC Digifine SH-707....but that maybe a little too flashy for you.

Pioneer units are good, check them out.

I would suggest one that plays MP3's....there's nothing like burning 200 songs onto a single CD.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 05:18 AM   #4
surfbeast
Registered Member

What about the fact that if you put in a new head unit with a CD/MP3 player in it there is still the old CD player in the space below? What do you do with that space? can you put in a EQ? Or do you just leave the old CD player in that spot.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:38 AM   #5
montaz3
Registered Member

With most after market stereos you are going to need to install a dash kit. The dash kit is available in most stores that sell stereos. Some of these kits will have a pocket insert that can be put in place of a seperate cd unit. Basicly, going this route will just add a storage area about the size of your current cd player.

As for putting a EQ in that place, I am with The Deuce, I have not seen one that size before. Thats not to say that there is not one. If you go to a shop that specializes in after market stereos you may find exactly what you are looking for.

2002 Zinc Yellow GT - totaled
Mods: (8)-ball shifter

It is only speeding until you get caught, then it becomes a race.
montaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote