MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Audio, Security, & Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-11-2000, 01:10 AM   #1
tlbryant
Registered Member

Post Replacing stereo

Have a factory am/fm/cass. in recently purchased 89Lx convrtible. Would like to replace it with something decent as the cass. doesn't work. I am baffled by the fact that the storage compartment underneath and also the guide on top which supports the radio are attached to the radio case. Any suggestions on how to replace this thing?
Thanks
tlbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2000, 10:03 AM   #2
95mustanggt
Registered Member

I wish I could help, not sure that I can though. In my '95 GT I replaced the AM/FM/Cass with a pioneer CD. The removal was very easy and only required some "hooks" which fit in to the holes on the side of the deck. This unlocks some mechanism and then the deck pulls out real easy. I used an installation kit from the local stereo shop that fit right into the upper housing. I'm not sure how similar the SN95's are with the Fox bodies though.

------------------
1995 Mustang GT
Dynamax Mufflers and H-pipe
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2000, 11:49 AM   #3
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Ah yes, the good ol' storage area that is part of the stereo. Been there, done that. If I remember right the little storage area is riveted (maybe soldered) to the bottom of the radio. Go to a car audio place and get an installation kit (I think that's what they call it). Anyways, it contains a black plastic piece in which is the same size (as the hole now in your dash), but has a hole for the radio in the top half and the bottom half is solid to take care of the empty hole where the little compartment was. When you install the new stereo it makes it look, to a certain extent, factory. Like as if the compartment was never there.

------------------
FOR SALE: 1996 Mustang GTS: 5-speed, K&N, removed air silencer, 3.73s, 48,000 miles. $11,500

[This message has been edited by 96GTS (edited 10-11-2000).]
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2000, 03:21 PM   #4
Silver2000GT
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I use to have a 90 mustang lx and I had my deck remove and they replaced with a similar holder. It had the cut out for the radio but also had that little compartment like the factory not as big though, I know they also have one with a cut out for an EQ and stero but if you decide no EQ it comes with a little cover looks pretty nice. Try you local audio installation shops.

------------------
1999 Metallic Blue Pontiac Trans Am
MAF, K/N and Whisper Lid
2000 Silver Ford
Mustang GT
All stock for NOW!
Silver2000GT is offline   Reply With Quote