MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-04-2004, 11:13 PM   #1
Krolden
Registered Member

Default Exhaust systems

I have a 2004 Mustang GT convertible, I'm thinking of switching out the exhaust and putting in a new system that will improve performance and of course, be hella loud. Any suggestions. Also would I need to install additional equipment to kill the check engine light? I've never messed with exhaust systems before.
Krolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 05:03 PM   #2
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Man, this will spark some debate. Let me ask you some questions:

1 - What is your budget?

2 - What kind of sound do you want?

As a vert owner, who likes the classic muscle car sound, and a desire for a few extra hp, but not wanting to spend a fortune, I went with an SLP Loudmouth Catback.

You will get the most hp gain if you swap out the stock H Pipe for an aftermarket X pipe.

The SLP was $350 or so.

Visit www.mustangexhaust.com to listen to tons of sound clips.

Keep in mind that exhaust is a very personal thing...people like different things. The SLP, though, is generally considered to be the loudest catback mod on the market. However, if you add an off road X pipe later it will be unbearable. I find that I turn off the radio when driving on a nice day with the top down just to hear the exhaust.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 09:18 PM   #3
Krolden
Registered Member

Default Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the reply, I know NOTHING about exhaust systems. In termso of price, I'll go as high as $650, but I was checking the site they had headers, xpipes, hpipes, etc. I just wanted a nice throaty muscle car sound and some improved performance, not sure what is the best way to go.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:50 PM   #4
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

No problem. There are MANY options. For $650, you can do a lot. That's good enough or close enough for a catback AND a new mid pipe depending on how you go.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 06-05-2004, 11:00 PM   #5
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

If you are new to the idea of modifying your car, I would suggest just going with a catback. You might get just what you want doing that. You can always add a mid pippe later.

Two popular catbacks are from borla and flowmaster. I am sure a lot of folks will chime in too. If you were to drop $350 on the SLP, that would leave with $300 to spend on other mods.

Here are some nice other choices:

1 - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter - $170 ish (self install if you can use a screwdriver but only if you have a 5 speed). This is a great mod!

2 - Under drive pullies = $160 + $60 to install. Adds 8 - 10 HP.

3 - There is always gears! Going with 4.10's make the car feel like about another 40 hp! You car will haul azz with these babies. Another popular choice is 3.73 too. Gears run about $160 ish if you shop right, but the install is around $300.

If you could come up few a few more bucks, I think you will be really excited about the gears after you drive it.

I see that you have not posted many times so I assume that I am giving you info you do not know. I am sorry if you already do, though.

Is you car an auto or stick. Let me know, because that changes things a little.

My Stang:
Old 06-06-2004, 12:40 AM   #6
Krolden
Registered Member

Default Thanks man!

Hey, I want you to know I really appreciate the advice and quick responses. My stang is automatic GT. Don't worry, none of this info I know, feel free to dumb it down to the level of "bobby's car goes faster because his gear is larger" and such, thanks again man
Old 06-06-2004, 08:45 AM   #7
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

There is a lot of good info around here, sometimes some bad, and always a little contraversy.

Since you have an automatic, a shifter is out of the question. Also, a chip/programmer like the SCT will be of a big benefit as it will help wake up the auto somewhat. If you get gears, you MUST calibrate the speedo otherwise risk ruining your transmission. This can be done with a $100 speedcal, a $250 chip, or a $400 programmer. The programmer is by far the best option if you ask me. Expect about 8 - 15 hp increase. SCT or Diablo make the best...I recomend SCT.

Gears and a Programmer will be in the $1000 range which is over your current budget and leaves no room for the exhaust. If I were you, I would get a nice catback ($300 - $400) and the SCT Programmer ($400).

My Stang:
Old 06-20-2004, 02:53 PM   #8
NSTYMACH1
Registered Member

Thumbs up

If you have the $$ go with Bassani SS!
NSTYMACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 01:09 AM   #9
STR864
Registered Member

Hey...which one is better?? BBK or MAC??? both X pipes?? you tell me!!
STR864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:59 PM   #10
Biddy Inc
Registered Member

Well Im a dealer of MAC dealer they are as good a BBK but I will say bassani is the best. But if you are looking for a good sound do a cat back if that doesnt give you the sound you want then upgrade to an Off-Road H-Pipe in which MAC sells both.

thats my opinion
Biddy Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:37 PM   #11
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Or you can save yourself a decent amount of money and get you a set of mufflers and have them put on. Just have the muffler shop take off the old ones, and put the new mufflers on. And get you a Cross over of your choice.

Cat backs on stock cars, or even much bolt on cars dont really see much a gain from a cat back.

I personally would go that route, well, that is the route I went.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 12:48 AM   #12
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

I had Flowmaster's installed in place of my stock mufflers at our local muffler shop, $180. Problem is, with an automatic the 40 series Delta Flows are too loud inside, if you want to hear the Mach 460 you dont want Flowmasters.

The guy traded me up to Borla's for $60 more and the inside noise is tolerable, outside is a little louder than stock, sounds good. The power difference was awesome, though, more than with the Flowmasters.

Also, I installed a Cold Air Intake, not expecting much, but really surprised at the power gain. My car is a 97, built before they started adding factory horsepower to the 4.6, I think it was rated at 205 hp factory.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote