MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-18-2002, 11:18 PM   #1
Idhomustang
Registered Member

Default Exhaust Systems Inexpensive Systems?

I'm helping my sixteen year old son, build a 347 for his car we will be ready for the complete exhaust sysetm in the next week or there abouts who sells a good reasonably quiet performance system, and how much? Names and Phone numbers would be nice, I would like a x-pipe with cats, and it should be in a 2.5" system.
We installed long tubes last week..

Quiet would be nice, I don't want him drawing the attention of local Police Officers who will in all likely hood get to know him in due time, I would like to make sure it takes a while.

Mac....
XE 284H Xtr-Com cam,
240-246 @.050,
540-544,
M/T Et streets,
Mac Upper and Lower, Control Arms,
3:73 US Gear,Mini Spool,
Eagle Long rods,
Mac Windage tray,
KB Pistons,
Scat crank,
4000 rpm stall convertor,
C-4 trans,
Airflow Research 185cc,
Hooker long tubes 3", exhaust,
S&W 6 point roll cage,
11.2 at 121 mph.
Idhomustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 07:20 AM   #2
Mustang_289
Registered Member

Mac:

Have a lot in common here, my son and I are building an 88GT project! This will be a daily driver - with weekends at the track. I'm limiting the real hypo add ons until my 16-year old can show us he can drive with his head and not his foot. That's why the track time will be important for us - he like me and every other mustang owner wants to push his car - but he needs to do it responsibly..

As for your question - we went with a complete MAC setup long-tube headers, catback, and h-pipe with cats. Car has a deep soundling idle and exhaust. Not too loud (but certainly deep sounding) when driving, and if an all out pedal to the metal it'll make some noise. We decided to go this route instead of FlowMaster's as they're much louder.
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 04:36 PM   #3
Idhomustang
Registered Member

I agree, use the head first, this first set-up is basically a stock 302 with a four bbl carb. Should be a slow one around 15 sec..

The next motor is much more exotic. With twisted wedge heads and a little higher compression and a mild cam, around the .500 range. But the machinist still has work to do, on the block and the young son is still earning the much needed capitol to complete the project. Going fast costs money and he is both earning and learning should be a good combo to work with.

I'm glad there are other good folks doing the same with their kids, spending quality time with them now pays off bigger later. And just think we know what they are doing, most of the time!

He has asked to take dads car for a spin, and I have declined, his invintation, since I have scared myself a couple of times with it both off and on the street.. Thanks for your input.. Mac
XE 284H Xtr-Com cam,
240-246 @.050,
540-544,
M/T Et streets,
Mac Upper and Lower, Control Arms,
3:73 US Gear,Mini Spool,
Eagle Long rods,
Mac Windage tray,
KB Pistons,
Scat crank,
4000 rpm stall convertor,
C-4 trans,
Airflow Research 185cc,
Hooker long tubes 3", exhaust,
S&W 6 point roll cage,
11.2 at 121 mph.
Idhomustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 06:29 PM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Don't know what kind of car it's going onto, but the Dynomax Super Turbo system I have isn't too loud (even with the higher flow H pipe), but it's definately louder than stock. It's also one of the least expensive systems out there. Try Summit Racing, or Jegs. For my 87GT it was about $169 for the Cat back.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 01:15 PM   #5
Tim89LXvert
Registered Member

Default Re: Exhaust Systems Inexpensive Systems?

Quote:
Originally posted by Idhomustang
I would like a x-pipe with cats, and it should be in a 2.5" system.

Mac....
If you don't go with a cat pipe, that will save you about $250. (Off roads are around $120, with cats are around $370.

I have a full MAC exhaust with 1 5/8" equal shorties, 2 1/2" prochamber H-pipe, and MAC cat back with Chrome tips.

I would recommend the MAC h-pipe and cat back for a couple reasons. They are coated with a low cost ceramic, not as nice as hot-jet, but works pretty well. The cat backs are a breeze to install because of the ball and socket joints they use with their 2-piece design.

Check www.mustangsunlimited.com

I think you should be able to get a long tube off road H-pipe and cat back for about $375
Engine: GT40 al. heads, Cobra intake, TFS cam, 1.7RR, etc.... LOLDrivetrain: SPEC II clutch & FMS Billet flywheel, Pro 5.0 shifter w/Cobra knob and aluminum driveshaft through 3.73:1 gears.Chassis: 4 wheel disk w/Cobra front brakes, GT rears and 2001 "Bullitt" wheels
Rear: MM adjustable LCAs with Griggs springs, KYB shocks. Front: Koni red struts, FMS "C" springs and full poly bushings. Full length MM sub frame connectors, steeda 2pt. K-brace.Misc.: 130a alt. upgrade, R134a conversion.
Photos of my car
Tim89LXvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 02:20 PM   #6
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Another vote for Dynomax here. I run a 2.5" dynomax catback with 2.5" off road H-pipe with stock headers and my system sounds meaty but not real loud. I think it's quieter even than the MAC system (especially compared to Hammers Yellowjacket, who has a MAC system).

The dynomax system is cheap and my car has a good low grumble to it.

Good bang for the buck if you ask me.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote