View Single Post
Old 11-09-2002, 06:47 PM   #1
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Question Trouble with Ampand 12" sub, need some help!

I've installed a new Pioneer deck into the wife's 97 Crapolier. It works fine. Now I go to install a Sony Amp and 12" sound stream sub and I'm having problems. Here's what I have:

Here's some background

The system was originally powered by an Alpine 80W amp. I removed the alpine and replaced it with a MONO 1000W@1 ohm amp.

The original power lead was all 8 gauge. I moved the amp and I am using 6 gauge wire. This is why there is a difference in the gauge of the wire. The instuctions call for 4 gauge, but I was told 8 gauge was minimum.

Problem

The deck works just fine.

If I hook up the amp with no sound the power light comes on and no diagnostic lights come on. This is with the sub disconnected.

If I connect the sub, weather there is music or not, there is only a loud fog horn like sound. When I had a smaller (and cheaper) fuse in the system it would blow the fuse. I now have an 80 AMP fuse (which is what is called for). I just yank the wires or disconnect the face plate before the fuse blows.

I measured the resistance across the speaker terminals on the sub box and it measures 1.6 ohms. The sub is a 12" sound stream sub, which if memory serves me right (this was almost 8 years ago) the sub was a 600W sub.

Can anyone help me? I'm going to disconnect everything and re-try the alpine amp, but if you see any major short comings with the circut above please feel free to make some suggestions.

Thanks.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote