MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-20-2005, 04:50 PM   #1
Rosco
Registered Member

Default Frozen water pump?

Alright, just went over today and charged my battery on the good ol mustang. Started it, and a ton of smoke was pouring from the front. Shut it off and checked the alternator belt which was extremely hot. I am wondering, it has been very cold up here on and off, could it be possible that the water pump has frozen up on me? The second time i started it, no smoke, and the belt wasn't even turning. I didn't get a chance to inspect under the hood while it was running for the minute it was. So if it is the water pump, is it possible for it to loosen up possibly if it gets a little warmer out? Or should i just throw on a new pump?
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 03:57 AM   #2
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Default Re: Frozen water pump?

Ok, I am not sure I am understanding this completely. The belt was not turning when you started it the 2nd time, but you were not able to look? How do you know it was not turning?
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 08:47 AM   #3
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Kinda confuzzled too...but if your worried about a frozen pully, have you tried taking the belt off and turning them by hand?
My smog pump, well, em, melted a while back, and took the belt with it. I didnt know it until I got the new belt on, cranked it up and it started to eat the new belt too. Here's the culprit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smog Pump.jpg (157.5 KB, 14 views)
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 04:56 PM   #4
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Coolant froze? A mystery question.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:24 PM   #5
Rosco
Registered Member

I was running alot less coolant in the system then i should have been, due to a small leak in the upper water neck. And for the belt not moving, i had the girl who was with me take a look and tell me what was moving and what wasn't. I could also tell from inside the car that the belt was not moving because as soon as I started it, the amp light came on, which tells me the alternator was not turning. I am also assuming for the belt it will have to be replaced, I'm pretty sure the crank pulley melted the belt smooth while it was not moving. It might have not even have been moving the first time.
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Old 02-22-2005, 12:02 AM   #6
grey88gt
Registered Member

Iam like KiltedBanshees. Why not pull the belt off and see whats turning and what isnt turning. Go to local parts store and get a $ 2.00 anti-freeze tester and check the freezing point of the water. If the water froze it also could have pushed out a freeze plug.
grey88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 01:20 AM   #7
rwhite65
Ride Hard

If you think you ruined the belt anyhow...cut the thing off and see if it will turn.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:32 PM   #8
Rev
Registered Member

Doesn't seem like such a big puzzle to me. Take the belt off and see what's non-fuctional. Replace the bad parts and go on your way. Replace the coolant for good measure.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:16 AM   #9
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

I vote air pump! Had to go rescue my sister on the side of the road for the very same thing. Just like everyone else said, cut the belt off and see what turns by hand and what doesn't. You'll know.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:51 AM   #10
Rosco
Registered Member

Now there is no possible way it could be the air pump can't be something that's not there.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:07 AM   #11
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
Doesn't seem like such a big puzzle to me. Take the belt off and see what's non-fuctional. Replace the bad parts and go on your way. Replace the coolant for good measure.

Rev
Agreed!
It's much easier to do it this way than trying to guess what the culprit is. With the belt off, you can spin the pulleys by hand and the one that doesn't spin (besides the crank pulley) is where the problem is!