MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-12-2001, 10:55 AM   #1
SCOTTLT79
Registered Member

Question Mach 460 system ?s...for you stereo guys

hey,
I have a 95 GT with the Mach 460 sound system in it. It also has the stock cd player in it. Now the system kicks *** as for sound but the cd player sucks. It keeps making some winding type of noise everytime I put a cd in and it won't play it for a while.

I'm looking to get a new stereo but will it not be as loud because they have to bypass the stock amps or what? I really don't know too much about stereos and I also would like to get a speaker box in the future so if you guys could give me some advice and maybe a few good head units to look at(cd player please) it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks guys and gals
Scott

------------------
95 Red Mustang GT
Pro 5.0
MAC fenderwall cold air induction kit
Mostly stock(looking to modify)
SCOTTLT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 11:03 AM   #2
ronny50
Registered Member

I had a 96 GT with a Mach 460 that I removed for a Custom stereo.

Big pain in the A**.

You have to remove everything. Wiring , speakers and harnesses because the speakers run on a different ohm load then a aftermarket CD player.

The mach 460 CD player does take awhile to load CD's.

------------------
1990 GT 5k Original miles!!
Ripper,Pullies,73 MM C&l Mass Air,8mm Wires,Piaa Headlights,MAC Cold Air (Fender)
ronny50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 11:12 AM   #3
SCOTTLT79
Registered Member

its not that it takes a while to load the cd, it just keeps making this noise like it is eating the cd over and over again.
Also, just had to add if you guys know anywhere to get good prices on stereos too, either online or stores.
thanks
Old 06-12-2001, 11:50 AM   #4
blueneonman1
Registered Member

In my 95 GT I gutted the Mach 460 completely cause it doesn't have the bass or high end that I want. I sold the whole system (wiring, speakers, radio, amps) for $70 to my friend's girlfriend and installed it in her Taurus. It works great there. I replaced it with Pioneer Premier head unit, 4-channel amp and Infinity Kappas all the way around. Now, the highs are crystal clear and the sub-bass is unbelievable. I'll admit that the Mach 460 is good, but paper-cone speakers can only go so far. My advice...gut the whole system and sell it on E-Bay for like $200 (I've seen it selling there for like $300). For the new audio equipment, go to http://www.audio-warehouse.com. I work for them and they are the 2nd largest audio site on the net w/ great prices. Cont'd...

------------------
Blueneonman - '95 5.0L Mustang GT Convertible | K&N Custom Cold Air Intake | FMS 9mm Wires | Hollow Cats | Flowmaster 2 Chambers | BBK Subframes | 6-pt Rollcage | King Cobra Clutch | FMS Adjustable Clutch Cable | Coolest Neon Lighting on a Mustang EVER!

Homepage: http://www16.brinkster.com/blueneonman/

Best time: 14.578 @96.20mph
blueneonman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 11:57 AM   #5
blueneonman1
Registered Member

As far as replacing the system. You WOULD have to gut it completely because the amp/crossover that controls the door speakers and mirror pod speakers routes only certain frequencies to them. If you were to just replace them with coaxials, they would sound like crap. Also, the mirror pod speakers are only 2-1/2" mid/highs. To my knowledge, no good company makes that type of speaker, so I put in a 2" tweeter and filled the remaining 1/2" with spray foam which also holds the tweeter in. The job is perfect. 5x7's are in the doors. In the rear are 5-1/4" i believe and then more 2-1/2". Get ready for a big job but it will be worth it trust me. If you have any questions, I can give great advice and explain in detail blueneonman@hotmail.com
Good luck!

------------------
Blueneonman - '95 5.0L Mustang GT Convertible | K&N Custom Cold Air Intake | FMS 9mm Wires | Hollow Cats | Flowmaster 2 Chambers | BBK Subframes | 6-pt Rollcage | King Cobra Clutch | FMS Adjustable Clutch Cable | Coolest Neon Lighting on a Mustang EVER!

Old 06-12-2001, 12:14 PM   #6
redsn95vert
Registered Member

I found out just after I gutted mine that you can get an adapter harness from Crutchfield for like $50 and used all of the Mach460 componets.

------------------
95 GT convertable, 3.73 gears, bbk off road h-pipe, march underdrive pullies, Saleen wires, custom made cold air induction,
Cobra intake w/ 65mm tb
GT40 heads, flowtech headers
redsn95vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 12:19 PM   #7
SCOTTLT79
Registered Member

hey blueneonman,
thats sounds like a ****load of work and $ for someone who has no idea what they are doing in there.
I know how to do work to my car but as for the stereo, I'm all thumbs in there.
I'm guessing that would cost a pretty penny to have someone else do all that work and also for all the parts. Any estimates?
Old 06-12-2001, 12:22 PM   #8
Lexicon
Registered Member

There are a number of amp bypass kits available that will allow you to bypass the amp without removing it from the car. Check with a local installer in regards to harness availability. Leave the amp and hold on to the system in case you see yourself selling the car. I suggest a nice head unit with CD Changer controls and a 4 channel amp. Invest in a set of new sills from a 460-less car and install component drivers (seperate speakers/drivers for each frequency range) in the sills for the tweeters. 6 1/2 drivers for the doors, and adapter will need to be fabricated. and mid base drivers for the rear. Again, adapters may be required for the rear. Image Dynamics has a very good setup that has many awards backing it. I installed a similar setup in my car and if anyone would like details, photos or assistance, email me direct.

------------------
1994 GT, Performance "Ticket" Red. Stock block with E-303 Cam, 351 "Boss Spec" Heads, Crane 1.7 Rockers, Cobra R Intake, Griffin Aluminum Radiator, BBK 70mm TB, FMS Aluminum Drive Shaft, FMS Clutch "Cobra", BBK Headers, BBK H-pipe, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Zoom Clutch Qradrant. All mating surfaces are port matched and clean, Car is lowered and is factory look. Sound sytem: Sony MD Head Unit, Sony 10-disc with memo Changer, Alpine DSP Equalizer and BBE Center, Image Dynamics Component Drivers (2high
Lexicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 02:08 PM   #9
SCOTTLT79
Registered Member

ok, so I'm screwed.
I just went to a local stereo shop and he pretty much said what you guys seem to be saying just in a language I could understand. I'll be spending a ****load of money if I want a new head unit
This sucks
Old 06-12-2001, 08:38 PM   #10
blueneonman1
Registered Member

It is allot of work, but not allot of money.

As far as knowing what you are doing, I am no pro either. All I did was disconnect everything and take it out. If you can undo inside panels, you'll be ok. You dont even have to take out the amps, just run new wires and get a new headunit.

As far as money, if your just looking to replace the headunit, a descent CD player costs $150. Wire spools and connectors, $10. The speakers may be the most money, but like I said it's all worth it in the long run. Check out that site I mentioned for some good specials on headunits.

------------------

Old 06-13-2001, 03:02 PM   #11
TEXSN95
Registered Member

I put in a JVC aftermarket head unit and it was simple. I bought a $15 harness at best buy, and it plugged into the factory wire plug that went to the old head unit, and the wires from the harness to the player were color coded so it was easy to connect. It's kinda hard to explain, but anyone with an IQ of 25 can do it. It took an hour or so.

------------------
Clint L.
White 95 Cobra #3637
58cc GT40X heads with mild porting, Crane 2031 cam, FRPP 65 TB, 1.7s, Cobra intake, homeade cold air, 155lph, pullies, Tokico Illuminas, C springs, GW LCAs, Kenny Brown super subs, Steeda CC plates, aluminum driveshaft, Steeda quadrant, B&M ripper, Kirban FPR, MSD6A, Taylor wires, Mac shorties, off road hpipe, 2 1/2 ultra flows w/ dumps, R hood, Euro clear corners, stock 3.08s
13.61 @ 104.7 w/ 2.22

[This message has been edited by TEXSN95 (edited 06-13-2001).]
TEXSN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 05:54 PM   #12
SCOTTLT79
Registered Member

Hey TXSN95,
I was just curious as to how the new system with the JVC headunit sounded compared to the old system. I like the sound of the system now but the cd unit pisses me off.
Thanks
Old 06-13-2001, 08:08 PM   #13
TEXSN95
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SCOTTLT79:
Hey TXSN95,
I was just curious as to how the new system with the JVC headunit sounded compared to the old system. I like the sound of the system now but the cd unit pisses me off.
Thanks
It sounded alot better...check your email.

------------------
Clint L.
White 95 Cobra #3637
58cc GT40X heads with mild porting, Crane 2031 cam, FRPP 65 TB, 1.7s, Cobra intake, homeade cold air, 155lph, pullies, Tokico Illuminas, C springs, GW LCAs, Kenny Brown super subs, Steeda CC plates, aluminum driveshaft, Steeda quadrant, B&M ripper, Kirban FPR, MSD6A, Taylor wires, Mac shorties, off road hpipe, 2 1/2 ultra flows w/ dumps, R hood, Euro clear corners, stock 3.08s
13.61 @ 104.7 w/ 2.22
TEXSN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 08:36 PM   #14
green94droptop
Registered Member

I have the mach 460 sound system in my 94 gt. I have been in Blueneonman's car before and as he mentioned: gutting the system is your best route for sound quality. His sounds a heck of a lot better than mine.

But if your just looking for a cd player to replace the stock cd player, any aftermarket is good. Anything is better than the stock crap they put in there because you'll be getting more wattage from an aftermarket one; although in theory, you shouldn't really need it considering Ford's setup of 460 watts going thoughout the system. But besides that, just get yourself a brand new head unit for now. Quality might jump up a little because of the wattage issue. Get one with atleast the power of 40w per channel. But keep in mind those speaker can't really hand much so you might have to tweak the bass/trebble settings.

Installation was cake for me. Do yourself a favor and get the connector from Best Buy or someplace ($20). It will save you the trouble of cutting wires and will probably be much neater.

It will come with two connectors: one for premium sound (mach 460) and one for just a regular setup if you didn't get the option. You'll also need a "amp integrator" harness. Should run you about $25.

You shouldn't need any other hardware except for 14-16 gauge splice connetors from anywhere (blue color).

Good luck.

------------------
Green '94 GT conv. -- K&N filter charger, FMS 9mm wires, Accel hipo cap/rotor, 180* thermo, 14* timing, off road H-pipe in front of 2 chamber flow's, Steeda subframe connectors w/ crossbrace, and still workin' on the rest!

My 'Stang
green94droptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 08:41 PM   #15
AtaxicStanger
Registered Member

I had my 460 head unit replaced with a nice Premier. Most shops quoted big dollars, some even said that I needed to gut the whole system. I ended up taking it to a small shop that specializes in high end installs. They charged $35.00 total(parts and labor) to install and it sounds much better than stock.

Al
AtaxicStanger is offline   Reply With Quote