MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-05-2001, 04:08 PM   #1
Chris_H
Registered Member

Post Know how to hook up switch to fuel pump?

Ok, I have some switches coming in from summit that I want to be able to hook up so that the car won't start when I hit a switch. Whether that means running it to the fuel pump, or to the ignition, I am looking for the best way to do this. Has anybody done this? I don't like alarms because nobody pays attention to them. And for the switch and the wiring, I can do this a lot cheaper. Who has done this, and what is the best way to do it? Thanks for any input you can give me.

Chris
Chris_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 04:17 PM   #2
ALS85GT
Registered Member

Talking

When I converted to carb fm fuel injection I had to cut the original "hot" wire and splice in a wire fm another "Hot" source. I don't have a/c so I used my AC on switch rather then a toggle switch. Thieves would never find it. Yeah they could start it, but it will run with what ever fuel was left in the bowl. Hehe..
ALS85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 03:28 AM   #3
Chris_H
Registered Member

Hmmm thats a pretty good idea, except I need my a/c here in the desert in the summer. I bought the ashtray door fix, and got a panel with 4 switches for inside the ashtray. Do you think it would be better to splice into the "hot" wire for the ignition, or into the fuel pump? I just don't want to mess up whichever one I tap into.

Chris
Old 11-06-2001, 09:50 AM   #4
ALS85GT
Registered Member

Talking

If it's security your're looking for then I would tap into the "Hot" wire that goes to your fuel pump. Hide the switch and this should work for you..

------------------
85GT 5.0 was CFI converted to Holley 650. Hooker full length headers. Weiand Stealth manifold. 86 roller motor, crane 1:7:1 alum rocker arms(roller). SSI 220@.050/498 Roller cam. Summit double roller timing chain. HD oil pump, stock bottom end. Mallory Hi-Fire ignition. Under drive pulleys. Accell coil and Ford Motorsport 9mm wires. 93'8.8 posi. Working on getting 4:10s. AOD w/B&M shift kit. No figures yet, still working on it.
ALS85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 10:53 AM   #5
PKRWUD

I agree. Even if they get it started, they won't get more than 10 feet.

Take care,
-Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: Peckerwoods Pit Stop

My teams site: Jim Porter Racing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN.
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 02:43 PM   #6
drudis

Hypothetically speaking, if you have a 1989 Mustang LX, you can get the foglight switch for a GT and witeh the fuel pump relay into that switch. You just have to turn the foglight switch on to drive. Easy access, and not too obvious with an un-hidden switch.
(Hypothetically speaking of course)

------------------
Darius Rudis
Roadracer: Home built t-arm/panhard suspension powered by an S-trimmed motor :-)
My Mustang Page
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 06:23 PM   #7
Chris_H
Registered Member

Ok, now comes the question, where can I find the "hot" wire for the fuel pump? All I should have to do with that is put in a splice connector for the wire running to the switch right? Appreciate the help so far guys. Should have this done on my next days off next week.

Chris
Old 11-06-2001, 09:19 PM   #8
chris91LX
Registered Member

Underneath the driver seat is a fuse or relay or something that you can unclip and that shuts off power to the fuel pump. I hooked up a loop to the power wire, I think it was the red one, and added a simple toggle switch to that. You can then put the toggle switch anywhere you like and there you have your cut-off switch. I think mine cost me about $1.75 for the switch and about 3 feet of wire.

------------------
91 LX 5.0
Z t-5, 3:73 gear, Vortech 73mm Mass Air, Accufab 65mm TB, BBK underdrives, Crane HI-6S Ignition, BBK unequal length headers, Bassani x pipe, 2.5" Dynomax Super Turbo cat back, Kenny Brown Super Subs, Factory Five Control Arms, Mac cold air kit, Nitto D/R's and more to come!
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 03:08 AM   #9
PKRWUD

The wire you want to splice the switch into is Red w/ a Black tracer, and connects your fuel pump relay (under the drivers seat) to the inertia switch.

Take care,
-Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: Peckerwoods Pit Stop

My teams site: Jim Porter Racing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN.
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 06:27 PM   #10
Chris_H
Registered Member

Talking

Thanks a lot guys! I appreciate everybody's input on this. I plan on getting this done on this coming Monday. Everybody on this site has always been a great help to me when I've needed it. Once again I appreciate everyone's help on this one!

Chris