MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Audio, Security, & Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-28-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
Mustaang girly
Mustaang girly

Red face XM Radio ?

Hi,
I just bought a 05 GT Mustang. Is is possible to install an XM Radio?
With out screwing up the electronics? I went to my local Tweeter etc. and they took one look at my car and said they didn't have a clue. Does anybody have any advice? Let me know. Thanks.
Mustaang girly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 12:44 AM   #2
Meotchh
Registered Member

Default Re: XM Radio ?

Where do you live in NE? I know of some great shops up there.

XM should not be a problem. But I also have not done any work on an 05 yet. There are many alternatives to installing XM or sirrius without cutting or altering the stock equipment.

Meotchh
Meotchh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 06:13 PM   #3
Mustaang girly
Mustaang girly

I live 20 minutes south of Boston. I normally go to Tweeter and they always do a good job, but this time they seemed pretty clueless when it came to Mustangs. I do have the adapter to XM, but the sound quality isn't the same when I use it. I feel uncomfortable having them go in and dig and having my car be the first one they do.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:42 PM   #4
RBatson
Registered Member

You realize you will have to pay for the additional subscription if you add it to your car? Your car should be Sirius ready, why not try them? I don't think you will be able to add xm to the receiver currently in your car, its set up for Sirius. You can however replace the head unit for an aftermarket one that is set up for xm. There are many out there. I believe Pioneer, for one, has XM ready units. There are many to choose from. Sirius and XM have an agreement that at some point in the future all satellite radio receivers will be able to function either service but that should be years from now.

Just curious, what do you mean "adapter"? Are you talking about the FM modulation where you have to put the radio on a channel to receive XM?
Old 08-01-2005, 08:07 PM   #5
Mustaang girly
Mustaang girly

Yes, I've had XM in my Tacoma for the past year. I took out the head unit before I traded it in and plan on putting in my new Stang soon. I have an Alpine head unit. As for the adapter I mean just what you said tuning into an FM frequency and comes thru the cars speakers, but the sound quality is terrible. So, changing the head unit is my only descent option. Thanks for your output RBatson
Old 08-01-2005, 09:19 PM   #6
RBatson
Registered Member

Ok, basically you have 2 options. Seeing as you have both a head unit and a plug-n-play. You can get the head unit installed or if your radio has an aux input you can buy the adapter to plug it in. My suggestion is to call Crutchfield, they can sell you the adapters you need if they are available.