MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-04-2002, 04:21 PM   #1
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

Question Foglights with Parking lamps?

Does anyone know of a way to get your foglamps to work with just your parking lamps on. I am pretty sure i saw this on another mustang. Is there a different switch you can buy or does some splicing need to be done? Also, will this keep the foglights on with the brights on? Any help please!

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 05:47 PM   #2
mxz
Registered Member

I saw an add on ebay for a Control harness that did this. I posted a question about this also today. Thinking of trying it for my 89 GT.
mxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 09:13 PM   #3
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

Did it say who made it or how much it was. WHere on e-bay did you see it?

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 11:27 PM   #4
Rog5.0
Registered Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1818509809

20 bucks. i've already bought me one and only have good comments about them. easy and quick to install and worth the money.
Old 04-04-2002, 11:46 PM   #5
Stang39r
Registered Member

well....you can do it for free if you want to. you just need to cut the power supply to the foglight switch and jack into another power supply. make sure its one that is only getting power when the is running. luckily i have a vert so i tapped into the power of the drop top motor but my buddy did it by tapping into something else....

ok, nevermind....here you go

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/fog1.htm

i just saved some of you some money and it looks pimp too when its just about dusk
Stang39r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 11:54 AM   #6
Rosco
Registered Member

Default Year?

What year were you looking at doing this on? I advise not tapping into anything else, IE motors, or Running lamps. When I bought my car, the guy before me wanted his foglights to work without his headlamps on. SO he disconnected the foglights, and basically hooked wires from the ground and power of the foglamps to the Running lights. BAD IDEA. Yeah, that has really screwed me up in the problems that it has caused. After about a couple months of being used daily by myself, it first blew a fuse or two. Although i wasn't concerned i never knew anything about how he hooked it up. It ended up melting the plastic piece that plugs into the back of my headleamp switch. Plus melting some other important wires and burning some of the contacts inside of the headlamp switch itself, plus the dimmer switch. What i did was, I went to autozone and bought a kit that would hold enough amps to run it on seperatly. **This is from looking under the car.** I used the left foglight as the main one. From that i ran the power over to the right fog and same with the ground. And I cut the connector off of the back of both foglamps so that i could crimp connectors on. I then ran the ground to the body from the left foglamp. Next run the power from the foglamp to the inside, and into the back of the foglamp switch (find out which one is the constant power source) and hook it into the opposite. Next you run another wire from either the battery, or I ran mine from where everything electrical hooks up. I don't remeber what it's called, but there's that black shroud covering it on the right side of the engine bay. And this will connect into the source of the foglamp switch, the constant power that is. And make sure you put a fuse in the wire running from the battery or whatever. And there ya go, foglamps come on whenever you want with the flick of the switch, and the fuse is in the engine bay for easy access incase something shorts or blows.

Hope that helps, I've been running it like that for about 5 months now, constantly on, and I've had no problems whatso ever. It also seems to not have as big of a drain as well. Oh yeah, I did that on my '91. So i'm not sure if it would be the same for '94+.
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 12:17 PM   #7
whiterod
Registered Member

I don't know if mustang works has an article on it but i know the corral.net has an awesome article on how to rewire your fog lights so you can fix it. i believe the title is gt fog light fix. I performed it on my mustang about 4 or 5 years ago and it has worked great.
GT-40X(58cc)heads, cobra upper&lower, FMS 65mm TB, 75mm Bullet, 24# injectors, 190 lph fuel pump, moroso cold air intake, BBK 1 5/8 equal length headers, flowmaster cat back, 1.7 cobra rockers, crane 2031, T5Z gear box, centerforce dual friction, mcleod bullet proof bellhousing, 3.55 gears, hurst billet shifter with over 193,000 miles. thanks to all who contributed
whiterod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 02:43 PM   #8
1SILLYGT
Registered Member

just be careful if you go the free route. I did it to my 90 gt a few years ago and it got so hot that it fried the whole switch.
Old 04-09-2002, 08:28 PM   #9
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Just install a relaypowering your foglights from your parking light switch, then all the switch does is power the relay turning your foglihghts on
Old 04-09-2002, 10:48 PM   #10
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default Just did it...

2 hrs and 15 bucks(radio shack)
see my post...
I did the corral article. It reads easier than these articles...
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 12:20 AM   #11
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Here's how i did it:
I ran one relay with the control being the parking lamps and the Power side going to the batt + w/a circuit breaker and to the lights to ground, so basically here's what you do (i got this off the corral article as well, which described it very well, i'm just giving an overview).

-On the control side, disconnect the normal fog light power source to the switch and remove the fuse for the fog lights.

Control circuit:
-Splice into the parking lamp circuit AFTER the fuse (so you don't have to add any extra circuit protection and this is safe because the control side of a relay draws VERY LITTLE power) and go through the fog lamp switch, through the control (coil) side of the relay and then to ground....simple enough for that side.

Power circuit:
-Have a lead from the battery go through a circuit breaker or fuse if you wish and then to the power side of the relay (which usually have larger wires anyway for identification and relays are also rated for amperage so make sure to get the right one for the amount of wattage you'll be running) and from the relay have two leads running to the fog lamps (make sure that the wires are a gauge large enough to handle the amperage) and from the fog lamps to ground.

Now you have reliable, safe fog lamps that come on with your parking lamps (make sure to have the correct wire size, circuit protection devices that match the current flow of the circuit).
Good luck,

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote