MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-13-2001, 02:34 PM   #1
Ray Hill
Registered Member

Question rear disc conversion

I have a 65 with and 8" rearend. I want to put the rear disc breaks, but I am not interested in spending the money for a ss Brake setup. I want to do the Junkyard swap. I want to keep my rear axle and do what ever I need to make it Disc.
I went to pick-n-pull this weekend to see what they had. I found the cars listed below. Will any of these cars work for the kind of project I have in mind? If not what cars should I look for. What car parts and mounting brackets should I use. I want to keep a parking brake since this will be a driver, not a track car. The options I have heard about are using a Cadi, caliper, ford product rotars and a 3rd party mounting bracket. I have seen someting about using only ford/lincoln rear discs as a minor work to mount. Additionally I have also heard something about using an explorer set up.

the cars I found with rear disc brakes are:

85 Lincoln cont
84-86 MK VII
8? MK IV
81 Cadi Biarritz (looks like an eldorado)
83-85 Cadi Eldorado

Keep in mind I want to do the wrecking yard thing, as I will rebuild the parts myelf. The only thing I want to purchase from a dealer is the mounting bracket if I go that path.

Thanks,

Ray Hll

------------------
Ray Hill
Ray Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 01:26 AM   #2
Fostang
Registered Member

Hey if you find a set up that works I would love to hear about it. I have been trying for a while to do a rear disk break system on my 67' Fastback but with no luck. I've heard that the explorer set up only works on 8.8 rear ends but dont take me up on that. Any good parts at the turlock pick in pull? I've also almost got a set up for putting rack & pinion steering but just that the labor to do it is long. I think the easiest thing up to now is just to find a versalles rear end and be done with it. I saw one for 400 bucks at the swapmeet. Very clean completly rebuild kinda got my heart thumping but it had a sold sign on it.
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 11:27 AM   #3
Ray Hill
Registered Member

The pick-n-pull in Modesto has the vehicles I had listed. I do not know if they have any Explorers. I plan on going to the wrecking yard this weekend and measuring all the vehicles that have rear disc brakes for possible donor brakes. The rear end on my car is already a locking type, so that is why i want to keep it. I thought about the Versailles, but a buddy of mine has done it and it provides other problems. You cannot use the rear sway bars designed for the mustang, because of some clearance problems. Addationally the vers. rear is wider than the mustang and will limit the tires/wheels i can use with out doing some other mods. Additionally the vers. is a 9" and thus will add more weight to the car. for the ammount of power i will be putting thru the backside the 8" is plunty strong.
I will let you know what i find out this weekend.

Ray
Ray Hill is offline   Reply With Quote