MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-12-1999, 10:36 PM   #1
Corsair
Registered Member

Unhappy Headlight problem (Help!)

I'm writing this on my sister's behalf. Her 66's headlights will flicker and even go out suddenly. When it happens the dash lights and everything go with it but there's no effect on the ignition. She says that they come back on (sometimes)when she accelerates (I"m guessing from the g-force rather than increase in electrical currrent). My Dad thinks it's in the dimmer switch. It seems to be isolated to the lighting system. Apperantly, the lights flicker sometimes when the car is totally off! It sounded at first like a bad relay but if I understand it, her car doesn't have relays. It's pretty wierd. Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks

PS I thought "Christine" was a 56' Fury.
Corsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-1999, 10:28 AM   #2
red
Registered Member

Talking

Try replacing the headlite switch. About $18 at the local parts store. Stick your hand up under the dash and push the release button on the bottom of the switch body to release the knob shaft; pull the knob and shaft out of the dash. Then unscrew the switch and put the new one in. Pretty easy if you have small hands. The headlight circuit breaker is in the switch and if you are having trouble with your horn it will fix that too.
-JON
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-1999, 09:25 PM   #3
macx
Registered Member

I'd agree with the switch as likely culprit -also check one little item often forgotten -
clean your ground connections to the body - look for them on the radiator mount at the sides near the fenders/lights. Black wire with probably several wires hooked to one connector and just bolted to the body. This can also eliminate other lighting gremlins like with turn signals, etc.
macx is offline   Reply With Quote