MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-15-2001, 10:32 AM   #1
SPEEDY88
Registered Member

Angry Engine shutdown!!!!

I was driving my stang and then all of a sudden, BANG! the engine shut down on me. I didn't hear a bang or anything but it just shut down on me. Anyway, I looked under the seat and saw the fuel pump relay. I grabbed it and it was hot as hell....Anyway, I took it off and cooled it off a bit and plugged it back in. The freaking car won't start but the relay was smoking???? What the hell? I went to get a new realy from the good ol' boys at Autozone and I plugged in the new one an still nothing....What could this be? I rep[laced my fuel pump with a 25 dollar one like six months ago. The fuel gauge went crazy about a month ago and now it doesn't work. So please give me some suggestions on what it could be...Thanks
SPEEDY88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 12:41 PM   #2
SPEEDY88
Registered Member

Unhappy come on!!!!

9 people have viewed my post and no one has answered, what gives?
Old 12-16-2001, 12:10 AM   #3
DRASTiK
Registered Member

Speedy, you said your fuel gauge doesn't work, this may seem like a stupid question but are you sure you're not out of gas? Have you checked to see if your rails are getting fuel? Are your plugs getting spark? Other than that, I'd say scan for some codes and see what comes up, that would narrow the search down far enough to take better direction towards fixing your stang.

RHC member #75

My stang is FOR SALE!!
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 07:35 PM   #4
gtsr515
Registered Member

Check to see if you have spark, if you do, bypass the fuel pump relay and see if your pump hums, if it does, check fuel pressure.

If it "just shut off", that sounds electrical, how about grounds, ignition switch good?, check computer ground.
Old 12-18-2001, 12:36 PM   #5
SPEEDY88
Registered Member

how do i bypass the fuel pump relay? and how do I check to see if I have spark? thanks guys
Old 12-18-2001, 02:27 PM   #6
DRASTiK
Registered Member

Spark: Pull one of you plugs with the plug wire still attached to it. Set the plug on you intake or anything else that will conduct current. Turn the motor over and see if the plug sparks.

As far as the relay goes, I've never bypassed it, but I'd assume you just remove the relay, and connect the wires so that there is a constant connection without the relay.
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote