MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Audio, Security, & Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-08-2005, 06:56 PM   #1
fongo
Registered Member

Question grounding a radio 93 stang

Hi everyone.
I need to find a suitable location to bolt or attach with a screw the ground cable coming from an aftermarket radio (Kenwood). I can't find a place underneath the A/C heat compartment inside where the radio belongs. Any suggestions? I can;t stand the "hiss" and "scratched record" kind of sounds!
Thanks.
fongo
1993 GT, MAC Fenderwell Cold Air Induction; Accel dist.,Splitfire plugs, BBK: 1 5/8 unequal length shorties, hi flow H-pipe w/ cats; Flowmasters 2 chamber American Thunder catback system, Motorsports 3-core radiator, 180º thermostat, BBK adj. clutch quad...the rest is bone stock!..but more mods to come!!
fongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:59 AM   #2
codybear
Registered Member

Default Re: grounding a radio 93 stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongo
Hi everyone.
I need to find a suitable location to bolt or attach with a screw the ground cable coming from an aftermarket radio (Kenwood). I can't find a place underneath the A/C heat compartment inside where the radio belongs. Any suggestions? I can;t stand the "hiss" and "scratched record" kind of sounds!
Thanks.
fongo
you could try running a wire to the e brake where it bolts on to the floor, your ground can be more than a foot long I had one aroun 2.5 feet and it solved the problem, or Get an 8 guage black wire about 8-18 inches or more longer attach 1 end to your decks ground wire then the other to a nice piece of metal near the steering column or on the side somewhere, what year is this car? I have an 86 and I took my stereo console off and there is 2 metal brackets 1 on ea side that pretty much stabalize the console and hooked a wire there
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 11:46 PM   #3
Meotchh
Registered Member

WOW that is some method you have there cody...

Well here is an easier & more correct method:
All you need to do for gnd in a fox body is bolt it to the existing metal behind the center console. There is plenty surface area on the bracket which is attached to the center hump in the car surrounding the radio. Just simply sand or scrape away the paint in the spot you are gnding to, drill a hole for an 8-32 bolt, make the wire as short as possible allowing you to still remove the radio for service, crimp on a ring terminal for the proper size wire you are using (normally about 16-18ga), slide the 8-32 bolt through the connector & in the drilled hole, then use a nylock nut on the screw to ensure it stays tight.

This is the same method I used in basic installs as well as in award winning audio installs. Clean, functional, simple; that is what you should strive for unless you like doing more work than necessary.

Meotchh
Meotchh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 08:09 AM   #4
codybear
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meotchh
WOW that is some method you have there cody...

Well here is an easier & more correct method:
All you need to do for gnd in a fox body is bolt it to the existing metal behind the center console. There is plenty surface area on the bracket which is attached to the center hump in the car surrounding the radio. Just simply sand or scrape away the paint in the spot you are gnding to, drill a hole for an 8-32 bolt, make the wire as short as possible allowing you to still remove the radio for service, crimp on a ring terminal for the proper size wire you are using (normally about 16-18ga), slide the 8-32 bolt through the connector & in the drilled hole, then use a nylock nut on the screw to ensure it stays tight.

This is the same method I used in basic installs as well as in award winning audio installs. Clean, functional, simple; that is what you should strive for unless you like doing more work than necessary.
Wow someones got a hard on for old threads huh? let me guess skippy you just graduated from college?

This is the same method I used in basic installs as well as in award winning audio installs. Clean, functional, simple; that is what you should strive for unless you like doing more work than necessary this is what we should all strive for it so much eaier to do it his way then anyone elses.. because it is clean and functional!! skip change the diaper and grow up, I was installing stereos when you were in mommies tummy. (this is an educated guess based on prior posts made by you, the way you jump into these dead threads and try to bring them back from the dead to make yourself look good if by chance you are older than shame on you)
Old 07-24-2005, 11:46 AM   #5
Meotchh
Registered Member

Wow someone likes passing on guesses to those who are not familiar eh? Trying to make sure people get the correct info not your hacking guess work.

Meotchh
Old 07-24-2005, 04:57 PM   #6
codybear
Registered Member

theres no hacking at all, its actually pretty simple and requires no drilling with any bits and usually only takes an extra minute upon installing the deck. so lets see with my method you take 1 screw out and attach 1 wire to that screw location and its done you don't even have to take the console off completely to do this I just gave an easy option and geez thats pretty much the same damm place you described. your option you need sandpaper, drill and bit, lock tight an 8-32 bolt, I don't know about you but I haven't had any screws come loose when I tighten them. the end result is the same only your method took about 10-15 minutes longer and both are pretty much in the same area. but it is easier and more correct huh?
Old 07-25-2005, 11:41 AM   #7
Meotchh
Registered Member

So you want to splice an 8ga wire into a 16-18ga wire... hmmm how is that logical & not hacking?

Meotchh
Old 07-25-2005, 06:37 PM   #8
codybear
Registered Member

Quote:
So you want to splice an 8ga wire into a 16-18ga wire... hmmm how is that logical & not hacking?
Do I need to take a picture of how to use a connector to put 2 wires together? you can also use a 10ga wire if you think 8ga is to big! my decks ground wire is a 14ga so making that connection isn't difficult... I know it isn't in the books but you can do it. R we dun yet? this is getting old. sorry I don't get anything out of beating a dead horse its simply an option if it isn't in the training manual I guess you can decide wether to do it or not!
Old 07-26-2005, 12:32 AM   #9
Meotchh
Registered Member

HACK, thats all I can say. Please do post a pic of a 14ga wire spliced to an 8ga wire.

Do you feed your water hose with a drinking straw too?

Meotchh
Old 07-26-2005, 07:43 AM   #10
codybear
Registered Member

Quote:
HACK, thats all I can say. Please do post a pic of a 14ga wire spliced to an 8ga wire.

Do you feed your water hose with a drinking straw too?
No its the other way around drinking straw in to hose, when I get some time I will email you a picture ok no more replies please this isn't accomplishing anything
Old 07-26-2005, 09:25 AM   #11
Meotchh
Registered Member

Please, post the pic.

Besides why add another point of failure by splicing a wire that does not need to be spliced?

Meotchh
Old 07-26-2005, 10:46 PM   #12
codybear
Registered Member

Quote:
Please, post the pic.

Besides why add another point of failure by splicing a wire that does not need to be spliced?

Man your a f-ing moron get a life go to work that is if you even have a job. so your saying that your weaking the link by splicing and using connectors? well I guess everyone who uses connectors either at the speaker,or to connect wires are all wasting time and effort and lessening the end result by using them. your an idiot! why did they make connectors? as long as there both touching the center then its not different then not cutting it. I have no car noise and I have had it and this always solved it. end of story. Jag-on good bye
Old 07-26-2005, 11:25 PM   #13
Meotchh
Registered Member

NO DUMBASS. You add a potential of failure by adding a crimp in the middle of the wire. That is completely different than adding a connecter to slide onto a speaker terminal. Yet that is also a weak link but not a potential to look all around pulling your hair out because a cheap butt connector, spliced to two LARGELY different gage wires, had a poor connection or came loose.

Now dumbass that did not SOLVE your noise.

Now it is "stereo installers" like you that create alot of work for the knowledgable few that properly install components without BANDAIDS through out the system. I love hearing people preach about how they have been "installing stereos since you were in mommies tummy". If you have been doing it wrong for 32 years then you will continue to hack for the next 32 if you do not learn to do it right!

YOU DO NOT connect a 14ga wire to an 8ga or 10 ga wire that is feeding electrons back to the battery or anywhere else. Electricity flows neg to pos DC 101. That means you do not feed a water hose with a straw as I pointed out above. Now I will get back to my relaxing time off. Yes with resposibilty comes benefits. PTO is great after completeing a successful project at work.

Meotchh
Old 07-27-2005, 07:41 AM   #14
codybear
Registered Member

Hmm so the reason my sound system still sounds good after 8 years is why then? and is this also the reason I haven't ruined any equipment too?I suppose I can't ground my amps with 8ga either huh?cause thats the way I did it. I've never fried an amp yet. I am not a professional installer (meaning I don't have a college degree for it) but the way I look at is I just saved myself aloto f-ing money cause you pro's charge way to much deniro for installs, and I've only upgraded over the last 10 years and never had one of you pro's do the work. Next your going to tell me I can't run my punch 100's at 1 ohm mono?