MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Audio, Security, & Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #1
byrnech
Registered Member

Default Stock Gauge Cluster Voltmeter Doesn't Work

My voltmeter in my Mustang doesn't work, and hasn't since I have owned the car. I have bought a new gauge cluster and still no volts. I have added a powermaster one wire 140 amp alt and I don't know if there is a wire off the stock alternator harness that needs to be hooked up. I just bought a 1989 Bronco and the voltmeter in it doesn't work either, what gives? This is really annoying, please help. BTW, I have a Haynes and a Ford electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual and I can't seem to find an answer. Thanks, -Chris
Old 01-31-2008, 10:21 AM   #2
USMC302
Registered Member

Default Re: Stock Gauge Cluster Voltmeter Doesn't Work

You don't need it to race, stop being a p*ssy. How the Hell are you man, where have you been? It's King.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
byrnech
Registered Member

Not a whole lot, just moved back to TX from HI and trying to get into the School of Automotive Machinists. Looks like you are back out in Cali, what's new with you?
Old 02-24-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
byrnech
Registered Member

Ok, I finally figured it out. My stock guage was broken when I got the car, and I bought a new complete cluster about 7 years ago and it didn't work either. Yesterday I was changing the anti-slosh chip and noticed that two studs coming out of the back of the cluster where the voltmeter is had two bolts that were loose too make contact. Tightend them down and I have a voltage meter. On my stock cluster it didn't have those studs, it just plugs into the back. After all that time I feel pretty stupid it was so simple. I also tried the three wires that are for the stock alt. and strange things happen when you hook those wires up when you already have an alt. running, I don't suggest it. -Chris

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: