MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Audio, Security, & Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-05-2001, 07:26 PM   #1
mike5p01
Registered Member

Angry StarGarD ... What junk!!!

I don't know how many of you are familiar with the stargard security system. It basically changes your wiring to prevent a "stranger" from hot wiring the vehicle... well the key that I'm supposed to put in it broke. So ... If anyone has any input on how to "unwire" this device... or at least a way for me to "safely" start the car so I can drive it to the dealer.. I don't wanna have to pay for towing. Thanks

Mike5p0
mike5p01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
deca
Registered Member

Default Re: StarGarD REMOVE SYSTEM EASILY!!! starguard star gard

After my Stargard key broke off today, I searched the web frantically for answers on how to get it replaced or take the device off. Didn't find anything helpful. After I made a few calls I located a very helpful service department. Here is what I was told...

The Stargard systems are bascially a big scam for autodealers to make money. He worked at a dealership, and they got them for under $15 and would charge up to $700 for installation which is why he left the buisness. Here is how simple it is to remove(remember, I am not a skilled mechanic WHATSOEVER).

unscrew the little key receptor from the dash(where the stargard key fits into and the red LED blinks).

Follow the wires to the box under the dash

There should be about 7-10 wires going from the receptor to the box and only 2 coming out the other side(the two on mine were significantly thicker wires). Cut those two wires right at the box....They are coming from the steering column where your ignition is. Make sure you give yourself enough length to work with.

Strip the ends off those two wires and twist them together and use one of those little electrical caps to make sure they are connected and won't short out.

The box should have two of the thin wires coming off it still and connecting under the dash and the steering column....one is the ground...simply unscrew it wherever it is connected. The "hot" wire is spliced into the wires by your steering column. I simply pulled it out as it had a little plug type adapter.

Start your car. It literally took me 5 minutes to do this procedure and I had not much of a clue what I was doing. I bought this vehicle used and had the stupid thing zip tied to the receptor to keep it from getting lost. It was always needing to be jiggled to make the car start. 6 years of trouble solved in 5 minutes. I hope this helps someone else out there searching for a solution to this terrible device! jsmith@georgefox.edu if you need any assistance.
john

star gard starguard star guard anti-theft ignition kill

Last edited by deca; 01-26-2008 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: fix title
deca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
paulgoh
Registered Member

Talking Re: StarGarD REMOVE SYSTEM EASILY!!! starguard star gard

Thanks for your tip!! It totally worked!

I was stranded for a few hours yesterday because my stargard system malfunctioned temporarily and before going to the dealer to have it removed, I found this article and removed stargard myself. It literally took me 5 minutes to locate the 2 wires and linked them. It took another 15 minutes to cut out the whole stargard system.

The stargard system is in essence a switch that the dealer installed on your ignition wire, so to bypass the stargard, just locate the 2 wires and join them. Well, it used to be one ignition wire but the dealer cut it and installed stargard inbetween, so it became 2 wires' It is very obvious when you look at the color/pattern of the 2 wires because you will notice that they are exactly the same, i.e., they were originally the same wire but were cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deca View Post
After my Stargard key broke off today, I searched the web frantically for answers on how to get it replaced or take the device off. Didn't find anything helpful. After I made a few calls I located a very helpful service department. Here is what I was told...

The Stargard systems are bascially a big scam for autodealers to make money. He worked at a dealership, and they got them for under $15 and would charge up to $700 for installation which is why he left the buisness. Here is how simple it is to remove(remember, I am not a skilled mechanic WHATSOEVER).

unscrew the little key receptor from the dash(where the stargard key fits into and the red LED blinks).

Follow the wires to the box under the dash

There should be about 7-10 wires going from the receptor to the box and only 2 coming out the other side(the two on mine were significantly thicker wires). Cut those two wires right at the box....They are coming from the steering column where your ignition is. Make sure you give yourself enough length to work with.

Strip the ends off those two wires and twist them together and use one of those little electrical caps to make sure they are connected and won't short out.

The box should have two of the thin wires coming off it still and connecting under the dash and the steering column....one is the ground...simply unscrew it wherever it is connected. The "hot" wire is spliced into the wires by your steering column. I simply pulled it out as it had a little plug type adapter.

Start your car. It literally took me 5 minutes to do this procedure and I had not much of a clue what I was doing. I bought this vehicle used and had the stupid thing zip tied to the receptor to keep it from getting lost. It was always needing to be jiggled to make the car start. 6 years of trouble solved in 5 minutes. I hope this helps someone else out there searching for a solution to this terrible device! jsmith@georgefox.edu if you need any assistance.
john

star gard starguard star guard anti-theft ignition kill
paulgoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: