MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Audio, Security, & Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-25-2001, 04:07 PM   #1
AU Stang
Registered Member

Question Original Wiring

I have put a new Pioneer head unit in my 88GT this replaces a previous aftermarket unit that had been hardwired into the factory speaker wires. Does anyone know which color (factory) wires go to which speakers? Any help would be greatly appriciated.
AU Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 05:09 PM   #2
Power
Registered Member

Ok bro, someone else asked me this a few months ago and this is the best I could find for them. Hopefully this will help you out too. Just remember to always have a few extra fuses just in case one of em pops.

Ground - Red (I would think Black but it said Red)

12v Power - Yellow/Black (I'm guessing this is your switched power, meaning the power is only on when the ignition is)

Memory - Green/Yellow (I'm not positive about this one but I'd guess its the continous power which keeps the clock and station presets in the radio....etc)

It also lists 2 more which you might not use.

Illumination - Blue/Red (Not sure at all)

Dimmer Accessory - Orange/Black (this one might be used if your head unit has dimming capabilities...almost all newer ones do)

Speakers are as follows;

Right Rear Negative(-) - Green/Orange
Right Rear Positive(+) - Pink/Blue

Right Front Negative(-) - Blue/White
Right Front Positive(+) - White/Green

Left Rear Negative(-) - Blue/Orange
Left Rear Positive(+) - Pink/Green

Left Front Negative(-) - Green/Orange
Left Front Positive(+) - Orange/Green

On wires with dual colors (color1/color2), the first color is the color of the wire and the second color is the color of a stripe running down two sides of the wire.

This is the only information that I have on foxes. I believe these colors came off of a 92 fox, but I don't think they changed any of the wiring between 88 and 92. Just be careful testing these. Sorry I don't have anything better for ya...

Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 08:39 AM   #3
belewmoon
Registered Member

I know this is an old thread but it's the only one I could find after doing a search!

This is exactly the info I need but it doesn't seem to jive with my speaker wires. I have a '90 coupe 4 speaker system(dash/rear deck). I am replacing the speakers but using the original wires.

On the dash, I cutoff the clips before I figured out I didn't know which ones were negative or positive.

My dash wires are colour coded (sitting in driver's seat):
left front - blue w/white stripe and orange w/green stripe
right front - green w/orange stripe and white w/lime stripe

Does anyone know which are positive and which are negative?

For the rears I am going to buy the clip convertors from Best Buy/Circuit City.
belewmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 05:44 PM   #4
codybear
Registered Member

Just take a AAA battery and take the 2 wires 1 on ea end of the battery, , touch both wires to the battery if the speaker goes up, then the wire on the (+) side the battery is positive, if it sucks in (which will sound totally different) then it is reversed just flip the wires around... also did you ruin the factory connector that goes to the speaker? or was it at the deck?
Quote:
On the dash, I cutoff the clips before I figured out I didn't know which ones were negative or positive.

This is exactly the info I need but it doesn't seem to jive with my speaker wires. I have a '90 coupe 4 speaker system(dash/rear deck). I am replacing the speakers but using the original wires.
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote