MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Audio, Security, & Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-02-2002, 10:26 PM   #1
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Exclamation Adding in a Sony 1000W AMP, need some help

My wife's stereo system was causing her some greif, and there was this 1000W AMP for CDN$150. So I bought it. (I also picked up an 800W 2/3/4 channel for my stang )

Anyway, I'm wiring the system in and here's how it goes...

Deck - Pioneer 2X45W's are driving the rear 6X9's.

1st Amp - Alpine 2X25W is driving the front 4" doors speakers

2nd AMP - Sony 1X300W is for a 12" Sound Stream Sub.

I have connected it as follows:

I have a few questions

1. (More of a comment) I am going to swap out the 30A fuse to an 80A as the directions on the SONY AMP. Is this going to harm the Alpine?

2. I have this "remote" wire going from the deck then split to each amp. Without this wire neither amp will work. Is is OK that I have it split to each amp like it is?

3. Everytime I turn on the car the sub goes blahhhhhhh (kind of a high-low tone and then the fuse blows (30AMP). Is this just because the 2 amps are drawing way more than 30A and I NEED the 80A fuse?

4. Screw-ups noted in my wiring diagram?

Thanks guys.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 11:57 AM   #2
Old Guy with 87 GT
Registered Member

i'm not an expert but i am pretty knowlegable ,i'll try to help

#1 shouldn't hurt the alpine ,the alpine should have it,s own fuse built in (in back of it).....your main power lead should be high enough to carry the currunt of both amps

#2 your remote wire should be able to power several amps ,all it does is kick a relay in the amps for the main power lead .....it's ok to split it

#3 that actually sounds like you have a short somwhere ,double check all your wiring before upgrading fuse......actually triple check everything ......if it is shorted or wired wrong it'll do damage to somthing ,if it hasn't allready
,just turning the amp on shouldn't be blowing the fuse unless the valume of the stereo is turned up (both amps sitting idle -no valume -shouldn't be drawling more then 30 amps)......the noise you hear is usually an indication of somthing shorted or not wired right........if you can't find any problems ,try a 40 amp fuse first ...if it blows with the valume all the way down then it means somthings wrong

#4 every thing looks right in your diagram ,i did notice you have all the speaker grounds marked with a ground ........is that for a chassis ground or for connecting with the components marked ground wires .........some components can be wired with the speakers grounded to the chassis but most of your higher end amps and stereos can't and doing so will damage them ......if your amp or stereo provide a ground for speakers then thats the way it needs to be wired

well hope i helped .....good luck with it
87 Mustang GT T-top >hanlon t-5, pro 5.0, centerforce clutch ,adj. cable/quatrant ,3.27s ,full 2 1/2 ex(off road H) adj. reg. ,e-cam ,70mm TB, cobra intake ,1.7rr ,ported/milled e7ets w/crane springs ,306 balaced/decked short block w/speed pro forged flat top pistons ...257rwhp/302rwt
best et 13.7@102 (4/11 )

'80 Capri (future project,currently collecting parts for 351 moter)
Old Guy with 87 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 12:41 PM   #3
srv1
Get down.....

Default Re: Adding in a Sony 1000W AMP, need some help

Quote:
Originally posted by 95mustanggt
My wife's stereo system was causing her some greif, and there was this 1000W AMP for CDN$150. So I bought it. (I also picked up an 800W 2/3/4 channel for my stang )

Anyway, I'm wiring the system in and here's how it goes...

Deck - Pioneer 2X45W's are driving the rear 6X9's.

1st Amp - Alpine 2X25W is driving the front 4" doors speakers

2nd AMP - Sony 1X300W is for a 12" Sound Stream Sub.

I have connected it as follows:

I have a few questions

1. (More of a comment) I am going to swap out the 30A fuse to an 80A as the directions on the SONY AMP. Is this going to harm the Alpine?

2. I have this "remote" wire going from the deck then split to each amp. Without this wire neither amp will work. Is is OK that I have it split to each amp like it is?

3. Everytime I turn on the car the sub goes blahhhhhhh (kind of a high-low tone and then the fuse blows (30AMP). Is this just because the 2 amps are drawing way more than 30A and I NEED the 80A fuse?

4. Screw-ups noted in my wiring diagram?

Thanks guys.
1. Each cicuit should have its own fuse. Redo that circuit
2. like OG says, it is just a signal wire. you can have 5 amps hooked to that signal wire if you wanted.
3. Again, like OG says, make sure you dont have a shorted wire. Also make sure you dont have a "switched" ground for your amps.
4. 2 things. you are sharing a fuse with 2 different accesories. also like OG said, you dont ground the speakers to the car ground! that is a big no no! that could also pop a fuse!!!

let us know!
Old 11-03-2002, 01:50 PM   #4
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Thanks guys. I'll double check everything. The speakers are actually grounded to the "-" terminal to the amps. I just didn't want to draw in all the extra lines!

Old 11-04-2002, 07:12 AM   #5
Old Guy with 87 GT
Registered Member

srv1....both amps should have independant fuses built in the back of em ........the single fuse should be in place to protect agianst the main power sorce shorting out ,then there should be seperate fuses that plug into the amps to protect agianst shorts internally for each seperate amp

all in all there should be four fuses....one at the starting point of the power source lead,then one in each componant (both amps and head unit)......they sould have a seperate one built in(usually plugged in the componant itself)
87 Mustang GT T-top >hanlon t-5, pro 5.0, centerforce clutch ,adj. cable/quatrant ,3.27s ,full 2 1/2 ex(off road H) adj. reg. ,e-cam ,70mm TB, cobra intake ,1.7rr ,ported/milled e7ets w/crane springs ,306 balaced/decked short block w/speed pro forged flat top pistons ...257rwhp/302rwt
best et 13.7@102 (4/11 )

'80 Capri (future project,currently collecting parts for 351 moter)
Old Guy with 87 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 10:54 AM   #6
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Well I spent all day working on this. I removed the Alpine amp from the system and wired all 4 speakers to the deck. I still could not get the Sony Amp to run with out blowing the fuse. I checked with my DMM and could not find the short.

Even worse the deck packed it in. The wiring at the back of the deck was questionable and I had to rig it up just to work, but it finally packed it in. So I'll probalby start over again.

Old 11-04-2002, 01:16 PM   #7
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Check the ground for the amp itself. If the ground is loose or just not a good one, it will cause the fuse to blow. Make sure that there is no paint where it is grounded. Also make sure it is good and tight. Also, If I am interpretting your schematic correctly, you have the ground lead hooked to the chassis as one and split to each amp. Try gounding each amp individually. Just a few suggestions.
Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote