MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Audio, Security, & Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-02-2004, 12:22 PM   #1
pepe_la_pew15
Registered Member

Default 89LX and stereo wires...what color goes to what?!?!

I am extremely confused..I don't know what wire colors go to what?! Does anybody know the stock wiring of the late 80's fox body mustangs??

I am starting to get frustrated..and I am thinking about rippin out the wires, and doing it all over again by myself...Does anyone have any suggestions??
pepe_la_pew15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 01:22 PM   #2
jinx6570
Registered Member

check this out-

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...27&type=Stereo
jinx6570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 03:56 PM   #3
pepe_la_pew15
Registered Member

the thing is...I tested every wire with a light and a source to ground..and NO WIRE completed that circuit and made the light turn on..but when i connected it to the battery terminals..the light turned on perfectly...WTF??!! so that means there is some sort of "break" in the system?? can't I JUST run 2 new wires...

1 power - hook it STRAIGHT to the battery???
1 ignition - find the STEREO fuse and wire it to the back of the panel???

anybody..thanks..but a simple "just buy a harness" won't cut it for me..because the current wiring is crap..and faulty..and I HAVE to do it over again...
pepe_la_pew15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 04:08 PM   #4
jinx6570
Registered Member

you have to make sure ALL the fuses are not blown. The fuse labeled 'Radio' is usually a 12v ignition source. You can verify by using a volt meter, turn the car on, find a 12v wire and turn the key off and see if the 12 volts is lost. Most cars have the constant 12v fuse for the radio connected to a different source and labeled something else- like interior lights. If you still are lost run a wire directly from the battery(fused) and find a 12 volt source that only has 12 volts when the key is on or, if you do not care just connect the wire from the battery to the constant and ignition wire on the back of your radio. You'll just have to remember to turn you radio off when you leave your car.
jinx6570 is offline   Reply With Quote