MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Audio, Security, & Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-05-2005, 07:23 AM   #1
A_PEEL_ING
Registered Member

Default Aftermarket Stereo Problems (amp/sub)

PLEASE HELP!!
I have a 2001 mustang conv. GT with the mach 460 sound system. I have hooked up a sub and amp to the factory head unit. I spliced the line level converter into the speaker wires between the rear mid range speakers and the factory amps to get the signal to my amp. My problem is that I am getting a signal to my amp but it is so weak that the sub is barely driving. I've tried many things to fix this and have had no luck. I used the blue/white stripe wire on the head unit for the remote switch for the amp that all works fine. My last attempt is going to be to try and grab the signal further up the line before it runs through the factory amp, but I have no idea what color wires are for the rear speakers. Could someone please shed some light on the situation for me? Thanks
A_PEEL_ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 07:30 PM   #2
2001saleen181
Registered Member

Default Re: Aftermarket Stereo Problems (amp/sub)

look at this

http://www.rsmooth.com/SubInstall/index.php
2001saleen181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:58 AM   #3
jquik
Registered Member

That link seems to be broken now. I have a 96 Gt with the Mach 460 and have been trying to install the amp/subs for a while now. I have the wires ran and everything set to go. I am right to the point where I have to tap into the speaker wires but I want to do this correct so I don't mess the mach system up.

Thankyou for any help!
jquik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:04 AM   #4
A_PEEL_ING
Registered Member

I'm not sure if you have a hard top or convertable but I know for the convertables you have to grab your signal for your inline converter off the rear mids, use the black with green for the positive and the black with white for the negative. You probaly already have a inline converter which allows you to convert you signal into rca outputs but if you don't you'll need one. If you car is a hard top then you need to splice into the data cable which is located under the rear deck lid. Its a small black or grey box with a few wires going into it. Sorry for the lack of information on the hard top I have never hook up an amp on one but i know it's easier than the convertables. Try this link out I know the pic's arn't very good but it may help.
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/despeeds1.htm
A_PEEL_ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:35 PM   #5
jquik
Registered Member

Hey man thanks a lot!

I haven't yet done it but from looking yesterday at the amps in the back of my car and those pictures I have a better idea now. I take it there is no difference between right and left?

Thanks again!
jquik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 10:21 AM   #6
worked95
Registered Member

When you say "mid-range" speakers, I am thinking that the head unit has actually filtered out the lower frequencies so that the md-range speakers only "see" frequencies between 150 hz and about 7000 hz. That means that your sub woofer amp is getting the wrong range of frequencies. What the sub woofer amp needs is 50 hz to 150 hz frequencies. A good head unit will filter out frequencies below 150 hz when feeding speakers that are not subs. Also a good head units provides the user the capability to set frequency filtering ranges.
You should investigate if the head unit is sending the full range of frequencies to the mid range speakers or filtering out "uneanted " frequencies.
worked95 is offline   Reply With Quote