MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-04-2001, 11:36 AM   #1
RMARIANI
Registered Member

Question Failed New Jersey Emissions

Big surprise!! My '89GT failed inspection last week for emissions. My exhaust (headers, high flow (2) converter H-pipe, and flowmasters) is only about a year old. The car is running great. Here's the question. Would my code scanner help identify the part or parts that need to be replaced?
RMARIANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 11:39 AM   #2
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

did you try backing off the timing and running the motor lean??

------------------
In progress for Spring:

93 GT less motor and tranny, 8 pt cage, chute,
Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, 3.73's
'69 393 stroker Edlebrock Performer heads, Performer RPM Upper & Lower Manifold..Crane Gold 1.6 Rollers..BBK 70MM TB & cats..30lb Injectors..Cartech Fuel System..
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 12:06 PM   #3
jimberg
Registered Member

A code scanner could help, but it may also be helpful if you include more information about your car. What test did you fail and by how much? What modifications do you have? New heads? Timing? What gasoline do you use? Etc. Give us some background and maybe we can help.

My '89 with a 351W and hi-flow cats passes with better scores than my wife's '91 V6 Probe.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 12:10 PM   #4
cleangreenmachine

Did they give you a printout telling you which component of the inspection you failed? If it was the visual inspection, then the parts you used aren't smog legal - but you seem to be OK there.

In California, the printout also gives you the allowable measurements for your car for CO2, O2, hydrocarbons, CO, and NOx, along with the actual readings your car produced. If you failed on hydrocarbons, your engine is running too rich. Someone else might be able to tell you what would cause failures in the other categories - I don't want to steer you down the wrong path.

Hope this helps...

------------------
Greg
91 LX Convertible
Old 05-04-2001, 02:13 PM   #5
dinomite
The Dude

The easiest way to pass emissions is to pull an injector. 1 less cyl. making emmisions, but you now have one that is just pumping clean air.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 02:30 PM   #6
RMARIANI
Registered Member

Yes I did receive a printout. I failed NOx by about 300 points. My car is basically stock. I bought it used about 3 years ago. I think it has a cam in it but that's probably about it as far as mods. I always use Amoco Ultra 94. Would pulling the injector really work? Would they check that in the re-inspection. Thanks for all the help!!
RMARIANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 02:55 PM   #7
jimberg
Registered Member

NOx emissions are caused by excessive heat in the combustion chamber.

EGR is the primary emissions component that deals with NOx. You can check your EGR valve by applying vacuum to it while idling and your car should stall or start running poorly. If it doesn't, that means your EGR valve isn't opening when it should, which would lead to higher combustion chamber temps. A code would likely be generated for this. The EGR vacuum control solenoid can also be bad, but again, a code will be generated for that.

You need air being pumped to the cats for the cats to work. Are you sure your air tube is connected and that your air pump is pumping air?

You may be running too lean because your O2 sensors are starting to fail. I'd replace them if you haven't recently. Make sure your timing is set at stock and if it is already, don't waste your money on 94 octane gasoline.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 03:17 PM   #8
SmokeyDP
Registered Member

I failed NOx in NJ by 800. It was determined my cats could be bad (EGR was tested and they said it was fine, but now I get codes from the EGR a few months later...go figure). I retarded the timing A LOT. The car felt like slower than a V6, but I passed NOx and that was the only thing I did. I am not sure of the exact timing I had, but I went from 15 to below 9.

Scott

------------------
1992 GT 5.0L Convertible
BBK Shorties, Flowmasters, Super Chip, Mass Air, Under Drive Pullies, Hurst Shifter, Duck Tape
AIM: SmokeyDP
SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 07:39 PM   #9
redrider
Registered Member

Best bet is to contact my friend owner of Race Related.com in Clearwater Florida. He says he can get anyone to pass even past those Gestapo Jersey jerk offs. I know I live in Jersey over 4 years ago. You should move to Tampa.

I have a 351 carb '88 GT pullin 10's on Nitrous. Don't have to worry about the Jersey jerk offs any more.

------------------
88 GT mass air conversion from 90lx, Cobra Intake(ported/polished lower),Edlebrock Heads(ported/polished),24# injectors 70 mm BBK TB, 73mm C&L, 347 SB, Wolverine custom cam, 150 shot Nitrous, BBK 1 3/4 long tubes, BBK off road H pipe, Dynomax cat back, alum driveshaft, Konis,Southside Bars w chromemoly torque boxes,AOD w lentech valve body, B&M MegaShifter, 4.10 with Auburn diff, SVO springs, subs, cross drilled rotors,MSD A6 w ign retard, black magic fan etc.
redrider is offline   Reply With Quote